14 - ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES

GOLDEN
ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES

IT seemed to be a current thing for teenagers not to have their lives figured out by the age of sixteen

IT seemed to be a current thing for teenagers not to have their lives figured out by the age of sixteen. All but Dawson Leery had spent years sifting through endless options and opportunities hoping to find a dream worth working towards. A concept that seemed to be lost on adults as they pressured their children to strive high for a future filled with stability and despair. Every day of Kim’s econ class, she pondered where she would end up in life. Still, today, she had no clue. “We’re going to focus on the microeconomics of a family household. This week, you’re going to pair up and play a little game I call Alternative Lifestyles.” 

Their teacher picked up a flat cap, with folded paper capsizing over the edge. The Witter boy's eyes drifted the noirette to his right, hoping her delicate fingers would pluck his name. The two still hadn’t officially spoken about the event they shared nights ago but it was safe to say it was on both of their minds. Their teacher stretched his hand out to the blonde in the front row. Andie McPhee, the new addition to Capeside high school. She gingerly pulled a name from the hat, her face dropping in dispirit. “Pacey Witter.” 

Both Kim and the boy looked at each other, disappointment on both their faces. Kim pulled a support, warm smile as she wished her time with Pacey goodbye. The older man paced the class before stopping in front of Kim. She reached into the hat and pulled a name. “Kenny Reiling.”

She looked over at the boy, who held happiness behind his glasses. She smiled his way and he reddened profusely. “You will be a middle class family with three kids. Kim, you're a teacher and Kenny, you’ll be an accountant.” 

The class ended with grunts and slumps from the classmates as they mulled over their projects. Some hated their partners, others hated the idea of growing up, and others hated the sheer thought of school work. Kim walked towards her locker, exchanging books for the second time today. Behind her, Kenny Reiling nervously shuffled towards her. His hands grasped his bag tightly, sweat exuding from his palms. “Hey, Kim...I just wanted to say I’ll take care of the project…”

Her eyebrows furrowed at his words as she shook her head. “What? Kenny, no I’ll do the project. We’re partners, remember.”

Kenny stopped stark. “Seriously?”

“Of course. Not all of us are Abby Morgan.” She giggled, closing her locker. His heart thumped against his chest at the sweet sound. “We can meet after school.”

“Hey…” He dragged his words as he approached her. Her hands froze at his voice, quickly trying to think of an exit plan. He clapped his hands together nervously before cradling them.