13 - CROSSROADS

GOLDEN
CROSSROADS

THE next day and half had been hell

THE next day and half had been hell. What Kim hoped would be a weekend of support was a cacophony of screams filling their household. The noirette spent days curled up in her bed, unable to find the strength to speak to a single soul. Her only interaction for two days was when her brother brought her food, making sure she ate normally through her slump. She only agreed to go to school the following Monday in order to escape her excruciating household. 

She got ready in silence, again making Dawson get her breakfast in order to avoid her parents. She was afraid seeing them would trigger the guilt that made her purge. It was easier to block them out and pretend they weren't even there. She would blast the spice girls from her room in order to drown out the yelling. It worked for a while. Kim finished getting dressed by pushing her foot into her left converse as her brother knocked on her bedroom doorway as it was already open. "Hey, how are you feeling?" 

"Fine." She breathed. She pressed a tired smile to her face as she removed some hair from her face and behind her ear. 

"Kim." His voice said sternly. His ocean blue eyes looked at her sincerely as he saw through her facade. 

"Not really." She admitted. "I spent the entire night crying my eyes out and now I just...I’m scared and worried but...I’ll be fine." Her voice was wary but she was sure that eventually she would be okay even if right now, she wasn't sure if she was. 

"Have they said anything?" Her brother enquired. 

"Mom cuddled me last night. She didn’t say anything but I heard her crying. She blames herself." She looked down as she swallowed a lump in her throat. 

Dawson stepped forward, resting a hand on her shoulder. "Kim, you don’t need to feel guilty. It’s no one’s fault and definitely not yours. You guys just need to talk so we can work on this together." 

"I know. I know you’re right." She nodded her head. She ran two hands through her hair as she breathed. Talking. The concept was so difficult to grasp. The fear of their reactions spreaded across the roots of fear. 

Dawson looked at his sister with a warm smile before tapping her shoulder. "Come on. We got to go to school."

The two walked side by side under the usually warm January weather. As they walked from their house to the school, Dawson never left his sister alone. He followed her through the hallway and to her locker. The noirette chuckled at her brother's paranoia. "Okay, you can abandon this whole John Ryder act and let me go to class."

"Kim…"

"Look I know you're panicking but I told you because I wanted to get better, I’m not going to do anything." 

The blonde sighed. "I just...I don’t know what I’m supposed to do." 

"I just need you to be there for me. You can stop worrying." She assisted. She closed her locker, turning to face him before she went to class. "I’ll send you my coordinates."