Out on Your Own

This is stupid. Absolutely stupid.
I mean come on!
What kind of "darkness coming from bedrock up" could there possibly be?!
It sure as h*ll couldn't be as bad as just everyday life problems! Like being forced to perpetually only eat veggies or fruit because of Avian's sh*t immune system even though you don't like veggies and fruits! Or being left out of everything your peers do because you're the "weird" and "loud" one that no one wants to be around.

Really, whatever this darkness is should learn how to wait because Tommy had far more important things to care about.

But Tommy is stubborn and often spiteful. So he tried writing in the book, yelling at it to f*ck off or something. However, no pen or pencil he used made a mark on the parchment.
Which Tommy really thought was some sh*t design because how the f*ck was he supposed to sign his name if none of his pens or pencils worked on the paper.

Tommy, instead, opted to ignore the thing. At least he tried to.
He found that the book showed up at his side wherever he went. (Like it was a trident with loyalty and his inventory was full.) It was kind of creepy.

Tommy got frustrated with the thing and tried tearing it to shreds but found that it took every ounce in him to tear even a small rip into the paper, and even then it molded itself back together.

Tommy officially hated this f*ckin book.
How could he get it to leave him alone?!

Tommy, begrudgingly, grabbed a pen and aggressively tore his name onto the dotted line.
And, as if it had always just been a normal book, the ink of the pen left behind every stroke of Tommy's hands and the parchment tore slightly under the pressure.

Tommy moved the pen to below the signature line, and sure enough, he was able to spit back at the stupid thing now.
But also, now he had no idea what to do.

Did he leave home? Did he rebel against the book? Did he actually attempt the quest or just use it as a good excuse to skip school?
Where would he even go?

It's not like they lived particularly near any other race. In fact, the closest ones were a group of humans that they traded with on occasion.
And even that was a good 100 miles away in a direction Tommy isn't even aware of. There was no way!

Tommy opted to just ignore all of it. Tearing the page out of the book with far more ease than previously and dropping it in the trash.

But of course, because the f*cker always returns, it molded itself back together and his mom asked him what it was doing in the trash.

"It's just some stupid nonsense book I found, don't worry about it mom," Tommy replied swiftly.
"You signed it."
"So?"
"You agreed to the conditions of it."
"No, not really."

Next thing Tommy knows he's stumbling to the edge of the mountain city with a bag latched to his hip and his parents wishing him well.

Oh, you've got to be kidding me!

Tommy figured out quickly that they weren't going to change their minds. He just had to suck it up and pray that life outside of the Aviary was merciful.
(Even worse, he swears he's been hearing things like rustling and flowing water since he signed it.)

Would he even have enough food for this? Most likely not.
Tommy's fist clenched tightly over the clasp of his bag.
This was going to suck.
Truly.

"Bye! Don't die!" His dad proclaimed happily.
His mom kissed his forehead and wished him well with a hug, his dad following close behind.

G*d, it felt like he was being sent out to some sort of boarding school or some sh*t.