18-Something Gotta Change

"Shawn!!" Camila called his name enthusiastically. She always did that with people she really loved. "I missed you so much." She said as she clinged her arms around his shoulders to hug him tightly.

"I missed you too." He said smiling caressing her back but Camila felt the stiffness in his muscles. He wasn't soft for her, his body language was tensed.

"What happened Shawn? Are you alright?" She asked him and he didn't reply knowing that the words he would gonna say to her would make her sad. She was in Newyork due to some legal matters she wanted to solve related to group, so both of them decided to meet each other. Though it was only a week before they meet at an award show, Shawn was already missing her and knowing that this meeting might would create more distance between them was making it worse.

"Yeah I'm alright.." He said moving his hand in his hair which he did when he felt nervous. "Let's sit and talk." He said offering her chair. They were in a small motel on the highway leading to upstate area, so anyone could hardly recognise them. Moreover, it was almost 9 pm of the night.

"Anything you wanna eat or drink?" He asked as a formality.

"Of course not..I just came here to talk to you, what you wanna say to me Shawn, you are making me anxious." She said worriedly.

"It's ok, it's nothing to be anxious Camila." He said with a laugh and his eyes screaming opposite.

"Ok..then it's good." She said putting her arms on wooden table in front of her.

"I-" He said putting his one hand inside his jacket rubbing over his chest. It seemed like, he was calming himself down. "Actually Camila!" He said and reached out for her hand to grab in his own to remain calm while she stared at him in confusion. "You know we are best friends right?"

"That's what you wanna ask." She started laughing. "Gosh! you scared me.. of course we are best friends."

"And we'll remain best friends forever." He said quickly taking advantage of her relaxed posture but as realisation hit Camila, her laugh faded away.

"I don't understand..what do you mean? We will remain best friends forever but-" She paused as she felt Shawn squeezing her hand. She looked up at his face and he gave her a sympathetic smile. She wanted to ask him, what did he mean by his statement but his eyes were pleading her to not ask any question cause he didn't have the answers. They were "best friends" but November of the last year wouldn't justify that term. They kissed several times and were on all over each other, not a normal thing for best friends but still he was there to brush everything off and move on. "We will remain best friends forever I promise.." She smiled at him but hurt was visible in it.

"I will always be here for you, no matter what." Shawn said smiling back with his heart beating with a speed of a fighter jet, urging to hear her saying that she wanted to be more than friends, so they would atleast give it a try.

"I know Shawn..you were always there for me in my hard times, I really appreciate that." Tears started gathering in her eyes as it got emotional but she held herself from crying in front of him.

There was an awkward silence between them for few minutes before Shawn released her hand and got up.

"Let's go, I'll drop you to your hotel." He said cause he knew, if he stayed a little longer, he might would kiss her and tell that he liked her. The whole drive, they didn't say a word to each other, except their goodbyes and take care. It was like they both were processing after getting an invisible heartbreak.

Flashback ended*

Camila strummed her guitar as she tried to make a melody as Taylor came and sat next to her. She was so lost that she didn't notice the presence of someone else in the room.