Chapter 7

Peyton

The incessant ringing in my ear woke me at three a.m. I answered it because, one, someone died, or two, there was an emergency. I grabbed the phone and hit talk.

“Hello?” I mumbled.

“P-Peyton, I need you.” Chastity stumbled. I shot up like a rocket.

“Chaz, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” I asked calmly. She needed calm.

“They—they found—I have—” She sniffed as she tried to stop her tears.

“Shh, Chastity, everything will be alright.” I confirmed. “Is there anyone with you? I want you to give them the phone.” There was some shuffling of the phone before I heard another voice.

“Peyton, its Will,” Will said. “Chastity has living family, Peyton. The whole house is up. We’re freaking out.”

“I’ll be there with Mom in five minute tops.” I said. “Keep Chastity calm. She’s going to hyperventilate.” I said before hanging up. I threw on some jeans and crept out of my room and into my mom’s. Lacey was curled into my mom’s side, gripping the bunny I gave her two years ago. My mom was on her back with one arm around Lacey and the other around dad’s pillow. I sat on the edge of her bed and shook her gently.

“Mom, the LeBlanc’s are having an emergency with Chastity.” I whispered as she woke up. She sat up slowly and got out of bed.

“Get Camila to come stay with Lacey and have her get the girls on the bus in the morning.” She whispered as she grabbed her glasses. “Go, I’ll meet you at the car.

Five minutes later, we were driving to the LeBlanc’s residence. I was jiggling my legs, a bad habit I picked up when I got nervous. Mom glanced at me as we pulled onto their street. She placed her hand on my leg and gave it a squeeze.

“Sweetheart, she’ll be fine. Everything will be okay.” Mom reassured me. “Chastity will be adopted, I promise. I will check out this living relative and make sure he’s legitimate. If he is, we will take this to court. We will let Chastity decide who she wants to adopt her.”

“Mom, what if she doesn’t want to stay?” I asked. “What if she wants to be with her family?”

“I doubt it. No family of Chastity’s has shown up in eleven years. She might resent them.” Mom said as she pulled into their driveway. “Just go in there and comfort her. She needs you.”

“I know.” I replied. I got out of the car and walked to the house. I could feel my hands sweating as I opened the front door and walked in. I was terrified of the next few days. The social workers would come, as would this alleged relative. Chastity was my main concern, as was the LeBlanc family. I loved these people like they were my own family. I wouldn’t let anything hurt them.

The feel of the house was depressing. I could hear that everyone, but Lucia, was up. I knew they called Lucia to tell her what was going on. I was glad James and Jason had graduated college. James was Chastity’s favorite brother. Maddie and Maurice were in the kitchen, talking in hushed voices while everyone else was in the living room. I saw mom brush past me to go to Maddie and Maurice. I stood frozen in place at the mouth of the living room. Chastity landed her gaze on me from her spot, tucked between Wiloma and James, and stood. She ran over to me and threw her arms around my waist, squeezing me tightly. I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly.

“Hey, it’s okay. Mom is going to make sure this guy is legitimate.” She sniffed as she buried her face in my chest. “I’ll never let you go.” I whispered to her. Chastity looked up at me as I took her hand. I could see the circles under her eyes becoming darker by the minute. I led her back to the couch and sat down, pulling her onto my lap. She lay across James’ and my laps, falling asleep within minutes.

“What do you guys know?” I asked quietly.

“They think the people who claim to be her family are her grandfather and great aunt. Mrs. White and Mrs. Weston don’t know for sure. They’re ordering a court order DNA test to be positive.” James said. “Mom and Dad are freaking out. They’re afraid of losing Chastity, we all are.”

“I know,” I mumbled. I ran my fingers through Chastity’s hair as Wiloma rested her head on my shoulder. I saw her inch her hand towards mine, like she wanted to hold it. I retracted my hand and placed it on Chastity’s waist. I wasn’t about to ruin what I had going with Chastity. I tried dating Wiloma before. That’s why William was pissed at me. I told him freshman year I had a crush on Wiloma. He told me I had one date with her to find out if I really liked her like I thought I did. One date and I knew she wasn’t the girl for me. She was too much of a friend, a sister. I couldn’t date Wiloma. Wiloma frowned as she placed her hands in her lap, looking defeated.

“Hey, kids,” Maurice mumbled as he came in the living room. “I want you all to go to bed. This is the one time I’ll allow the girls to bunk with the boys. I want you all upstairs. James, I want you to bunk with Peyton and Chastity. The rest of you, figure it out.” I lifted Chastity into my arms as I stood, leading the way to the stairs. Once on the landing, I made my way to Chastity’s room and laid her on her bed. James already set to work pulling the slid out bed from under the main bed. I stripped out of my jeans and looked at James.

“Do you want to share the bed with Chaz?” I asked.

“No, when she wakes up, it needs to be with the guy who loves her more than life itself. I’m just her big brother.” James said as he lowered himself onto the second bed. “I won’t snore too much.”

“Good night.” I said as I climbed into bed and cuddled with Chastity.

“You need to tell her about you and Wiloma and set boundaries with Willa.” James said after a few quiet moments. “I saw what she tried to do.”

“I know. I don’t think now is the right time.” I whispered.

“It may never be the right time. You just need to do it.” He said. After that, we finally fell asleep. I woke around one in the evening with Chastity sitting cross-legged at the end of the bed. I sat up and grabbed her waist, pulling her back towards the head board.

“Afternoon, sleepy head,” she mumbled as she kissed my cheek. I smiled and cupped her cheek, giving her a quick kiss.

“How are you, Chaz?” I asked softly. “You sounded so scared last night.”

“I’m still scared, but it’s better now that you and your mom are here.” She said. “Thank you for coming.”

“I will always be at your beck and call.” I said as I pulled her close. “I care about you, Chastity Brennan. I do not care if you have family; I do not care if you choose them over Maddie and Maurice, because I will always be here for you.” She smiled faintly as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

“You are amazing. I couldn’t ask for a better friend, a better boyfriend than you.” She sounded like she was about to cry. “I am never going to choose between Maddie and Maurice or this alleged family member. These people are my family.”

*

*

*

*

*

Hello lovelies!

A new update! Yay! I will update The Traveler soon. I have slight writers block for the stroy, but I just have to work on something else and I will have inspiration!

So, I have February Break coming up and I don't know if I will get to writing during then, but I will try. I am going on a day trip before volunteering for a couple of days. Then I am going to go to visit Wheaton College Friday, and then go to Boston with my parents. Busy week!

Oh, and m friend Erica is awake and on her way to recovery! They moved her to a local rehab center and she will be regaining the use of her body again. You don't understand how happy I am.

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho