Chapter 2

After lunch, Mrs. White, Maddie and I went up to my room. The house itself was large, but walking onto the second floor, I was stunned.

"Jason, James and Lee have rooms in the basement. You and the girls will be upstairs with us." Maddie said, pulling more clothes from my suitcases. "Oh, the girls will love having a sister! They've been out numbers because of the James and Jason, but you'll even us all out." I looked at Nancy and bit my lip. Is that all they wanted me for?

"Um, that's wonderful." I mumbled as I made my bed. The room was huge with a semi-walk in closet. The walls were painted a soft yellow and the room was lit by a bay window. It was beautiful, my dream room. I've never had such luxeries before in my life. I've been in and out of the same orphanage for eleven years. I've been with twelve different families, and only three wanted to adopt me. The LeBlanc's were my last chance.

My parents died when I was five years old. They were coming home from a date night and I was under the care of an old friend. I remember when we got the call. I had wet the bed so Cara, the friend, was changing my sheets when the house phone went off. It was around midnight. She was only on the phone for five minutes before she grabbed me and left for the hospital. They had been driving along when a motorcycle came out of no where. Dad swerved out of the way and hit the barrier, flipping the car three times. Neither of them survived. Mom died on impact and dad bled out at on the operating table. I've been in the system ever since. So many people used me for the benefits they got, and some actually wanted to adopt me. None ever did. It's like I was cursed.

"Chastity, cherub, are you alright?" Nancy asked, rubbing my back softly. I nodded and looked at the two women.

"Mind if I use the bathroom?" I asked. Maddie nodded and I left the room before she could open her mouth. I honestly needed space. I was terrified that these people might actually adopt me. I've been Chastity Anne Brennan for sixteen years. I wasn't ready to be anything else. I didn't really go to the bathroom. I snuck down the stairs and out the back door. I didn't mind the cold of January. It wasn't all that bad when you get past the wind. It was just like being in the summer. Except it wasn't. I was numb, which is what I wanted to be right now.

"Hey, what are you doing without a coat?" A guy asked from behind me.

"Thinking." I murmured, sitting down on the snowy steps of the back porch. "Who are you?"

"James. You must be Chastity." He said, sitting next to me. "Want my sweatshirt?"

"No, the two of us don't need to be cold." I said.

"I've spent the last four years in Michigan. This is summer to me." He said, pulling off his sweater and pulling it over my head. "Are you enjoying your day so far?"

"Kind of." I murmured. "I'm actually kind of terrified. The one thing I have wanted for so long, the one thing that Maddie and Maurice are giving me, I don't think I'm ready for." James stayed quiet for a moment.

"I remember when Lee first came here. He was five. The twins were three and we didn't have Lucia yet. He was very guarded for a little boy. I remeber when he came here for his first over night. I stayed up with him beause he wasn't tucked in right. Mom and Dad were pissed when were were falling asleep at the table, but Lee and I connected. 

"Then two years later, Lucia came. Jason and I were nine, Lee was seven and the twins were five. SHe was six. Her parents were divorced and had died within a few years of each other. She was left in the care of her Father's new wife, who abused her. Her case worker, Charlotte Weston, gave her to us because we have an excelent track record with DSS. It took her a month, but Lucy warmed up to us. Luce and Willie have been inseperable ever since." James said, taking my hands in his. "My parents really want to adopt you, Chastity. They've been looking forward to you for a long time. We all have."