Chapter 11

Peyton Churchill

Will and I sat in the living room, playing COD instead of studying. We were both waiting for Chastity to come home. It had been hours since she went out with her Grandfather and no one had heard from her. Wioma was out with Lucia and her mother, shopping for Lucy's big date next weekend. It was something to do, to take the edge off of everything. Jamie and Jason were home, waiting for Robert to bring home their beloved sister. Maurice had to work this weekend, getting as many hours in as he could before they started their Summer Adoption project. In all honesty, no one could wait for Chastity to be part of the family. She brought both this patchwork family and mine together.

But nothing is perfect, as I have learned. Around seven at night, James and Jason came barreling through the house, grabbing anything they could find. Will and I had turned off our game, watching the two. My immediate reaction was dread. Something had happened, and it wasn't good.

"Hospital, now. Chaz was in an accident." James said, grabbing his keys off the wall. Will and I followed the twins, but time had slowed for me. The girl I loved was in an accident, and by the way her brothers were acting, it was a lot worse than a concussion or broken bone. The car ride to the hospital was beyond quiet. Everyone was scared and unsure of what had happened earlier in the day. No one was really comprehending anything.

When we arrived at the hospital, everyone we knew was in the ER waiting room. From her parents to her social workers, the room was filled with people concerned for Chastity. I spotted her great aunt in the corner of the room, crying into her tissue. Robert must have been hurt as well in the accident. Mo stood when he saw us all, waving us over towards the family.

"Any updates, Dad?" James asked, giving his dad a hug. Mo shook his head as he hugged the rest of us.

"She's still in surgery. Robert's out though, he's in recovery." Mo said, rubbing his face. "It's not looking good boys, but I need you to start praying."

It felt as if I was no longer in charge of my body. I felt myself sit down near Will and just stare ahead of me. It wasn't like I could focus on anything else. She was in surgery. How badly was she hurt? Did anyone know how bad the accident was? All I could think about was Chastity. I needed to see her. I needed to see she'd be alright.

The doctor came nearly four hours later. Everyone had forced themselves to stay awake, and when her surgeon came out to deliver the news, everyone turned onto high alert. Mo and Maddie went up to the doctor and talked quietly, excluding the rest of the family from the conversation. I watched the couple's body language as they talked to the doctor. Maddie seemed almost relieved by the doctor's words. Mo, on the other hand, remained stiff and still. I wanted to know what they were saying. Was the surgery successful? Or did we have to say goodbye to Chastity? I watched as the doctor turned to leave and Maddie followed him down the hall. Mo turned and came back to the crowded seating area.

"The hospital gave us vouchers for the hotel down the street. We're going to be staying there a while. Mom and I are going stay with Chastity tonight. We'll explain everything in the morning. Visiting hours start around ten. You guys should go home before then and get as much clothing as you can, okay?" Mo said, rubbing his eyes. "Go on guys, we'll see you tomorrow."

I barely remember leaving the hospital, but I must have. Will, Lee and I climbed into our hotel room around eleven-thirty that night. I don't think anyone slept that night. We were all too anxious to see Chastity in the morning.

Chastity Brennan

They placed me in ICU, in my own room. Maddie and Mo fought the hospital to keep me in the ICU, where nurses and patients were constantly moving and talking. They said it would help me come back. My doctor said it would help my brain recognize who I was. It felt like I was floating above my body, completely useless to the rest of my body. I so desperately want to use my hands, my arms, my mouth. To do something to tell all these people that I was okay and that I could hear them. To tell them I wanted to go home.