Chapter 10

A month later, school was almost finished. James, Jason, Lee and Lucia were home for the summer and life was good. I spent the last two weeks of May with Grace, Derek and Peyton. Grace was seven months pregnant, and whiney. I loved this girl to bits; she's my best friend. Yet, I just wanted her to shut up about how hot it was, or how the twins were jumping up and down on her bladder. Grace and Derek never went to junior prom since Grace felt too pregnant to attend. They had their own private prom on prom night, which Peyton and I attended before going to the other prom. I think I enjoyed Gracie's prom more. There were eight of us; Grace and Derek, Liam Weston and his date, Isabelle Weston and her date, and Peyton and me. It was cozy.

June came about, and I felt scared. Nancy had called the first week of June with the best news of my life. My adoption was going to be finalized. Nancy said that our first court date was set for June 26th. I was beyond happy. I was over the moon. Nancy also called Robert and Natalie about the adoption. Nancy said Robert was going to petition the adoption. He was not happy about it; he wanted a second chance to have his family back. I never wanted him. From my earliest memories in foster care, I could remember crying over losing my parents, knowing that I had no other family. Why did no one know about Robert? I would have been over the moon at the time to have someone related to my mom. As the years went by, I became less and less hopeful of a fairytale ending and became a realist. I was more likely to become adopted by a family like the LeBlanc's than by unknown relatives.

In an attempt to remedy the troubles Robert had stirred, Maddie and Maurice had invited Robert to come back up north from Florida. They wanted to know why he wanted me, and if I would consider a compromise with him. I just wanted him to stop. I was ready to become Chastity Anne LeBlanc. Robert arrived in town two weeks before the first court date. James and I were waiting for him to arrive at the house while the rest of my support team was already in the house.

"You know, if you want to go back with your grandfather, we'll always be here for you." James said, putting his arm around my shoulder. "You'll always be my little sister."

"Jimmy, I'm not leaving. You crazy people are my family. Robert was never there for me, but it would be nice to know where I came from." I said, looking at him. "Like where my parents first met, when my dad met Robert, my great-great-great-to-the-infinity grandparents were from. Stuff like that."

"Yeah, that would be nice. And even when you do become a LeBlanc, he's still your grandfather at the end of the day." He said, giving me a squeeze. "Speak of the devil." Robert's rental car pulled into the driveway, his eyes landing on James and me. Robert approached the front steps, his eyes shifting from me to James.

"I've come to take Chastity out for the day. Your parents know of this." He said, stretching his hand out to me. I took his hand and pulled myself up to standing. "I'll see you around dinner, Jimmy. Save me some food."

"Will do, Chaz; be safe!" James called as Robert led me to his car. I climbed in the passenger seat as Robert slid into the driver's seat and turned on his car. It was awkwardly silent as he backed out of my parent's driveway and onto the main road.

"Where are we going?" I asked as he pulled onto the highway. Robert glanced at me quickly before turning his gaze to the road.

"We're going to visit your parents." He said tightly. I gripped the arm cushion until my knuckles turned white. I hadn't visited them since I moved into the LeBlanc's house. I felt as if I betrayed my parents somehow.

"Why? Do you think guilt tripping me is going to make me chose you instead of my parents?" I asked. "My mother and father loved me, and I love them, but I have to move on. And so do you, Robert." Robert stayed silent for a while, weaving in and out of traffic.

"Your mother and I had a fight not too long before you were born. By then, your father's parents had passed on and my ex-wife had died as well. I was the last living relative you had, and I was pressuring your mother to change their will to make me your legal guardian if they should die. Your mother was still mad at me from when she was a child. She said to stay away from you. No one notified me when your parents died. It was when your mother's friend, Melissa, called me after they had been cremated I had learned of their death." Robert stated as he entered the off ramp to my old town.

"Why did mom hate you?" I asked. He sighed as he entered my first town.

"Your mother had an older brother. He was ten when your mother was born. His name was Chuck. He was wrapped around your mother's finger like no one else. He'd do anything for her. When he was seventeen, he went to a party where his friends had gotten drunk. He drove them home, but one friend was fighting him for the wheel. The car crashed and your uncle was brought to the hospital. At the time, your grandmother and I were in the middle of a long separation. The hospital called me after they got an id off of his clothes. I refused to let your mother see your uncle. He died not too long after the accident." Robert explained. "Your mother was banned from the funeral by her mother and I, but she only blamed me. I was a true bastard to her. I thought the only way to make up for it was raising you if the chance presented itself. But that was never meant to be."

I pursed my lips together in a thin line. I had no idea what to do with this new information given to me. I honestly wanted to believe him, but this seemed a bit farfetched.

"Take me home." I ordered. Robert shook his head once as he exited the high way. "Home is with your family, and I am your family." Robert said.

"Home is with the people who aren't trying to abduct me!" I shouted as Robert looked at me. I wanted to shout, or smack him or something, but I felt paralyzed. Robert had pulled too far out into the road and a large truck was coming towards us. I barely managed a scream as the truck barreled into us, flipping our small car over.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello lovelies!!

Sorry for not updating for so long. I've had some major writers block. But MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Can't wait to write what comes next.

So, I've been accepted into my first college yesterday!! I am so happy. I ma go there because of the financial package they're giving me. I am so swamped with all of the college applications I've been filling out. I just wrote one and it didn't save and I am pissed because I have to write it all over again.

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho