Chapter 1

"Chaz, are you ready to meet your new foster family?" My case worker, Mrs. White, asked. I loved her to death. She's been thete for me since I was first put in the system. She's the closest thing I'll ever have to a mother and she considers me as her daughter.

"Do you think this family will want to keep me?" I asked. At sixteen years old it was highly unlikely I would be adopted, but I still had to keep my hopes up.

"I hope so, my little cherub. I want to see you out of this place once and for all. And don't worry, Chastity, I will always visit you. Especially when you need me." Mrs. White said, turning down a picturesque street. I hoped to God that these people were not snobs and that they weren't taking me in for the benefits that the state was going to give them. I refused to go through that hell ever again. "No, Chaz, they don't live here. It's one more street over."

"Good." I breathed, clenching and unclenching my hands nervously. The adrenaline rush wouldn't kick in until we would pull in the driveway. This happened everytime I went to a new home. All these questions raced in my head. Will they want me? Are they going to like me? They won't send me back once they find out they're expecting, will they? Are they going to use me? Do they have kids already? Are they straight or are they gay? But none of that matters once I meet the family because I have already opened my heart up to them, all they have to do is accept me.

"We're here, my cherub. Are you ready?" Mrs. White asked as she parked the car. I nodded mutely, reaching for her hand. "Nervous?"

"Yes." I whispered. "This is pretty much my last chance, Nance."

"Well, if these people don't want you, I will put in my adoption request again. You know I would adopt you in a heart beat." Mrs. White said softly. I nodded and looked at her.

"You're coming in with me, right?" I asked.

"And I'll stay until you are comfortable." She reassured me. The two of us got out of the car and grabbed my two suit cases. I took a deep breath and walked the short distance from the car to the front door of the house. Mrs. White was right there beside me, ringing the doorbell twice, just like she always does. Moments later a woman in her early fifties swung open the door. She was about 5'4" with greying blonde hair and light green eyes. There was a man behind her who was about 6'3" with salt and pepper hair and deep blue eyes hidded behind glasses.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. LeBlanc, I'd like you to meet Chastity Brennan. Chaz, these are your foster parents, Maurice and Maddie LeBlanc." Mrs. White said. I tentatively stuck my hand out for a handshake, but Maddie shook her head and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

"We're family now, Chastity. You can hug me." The woman said as she released me. I nodded, stunned by what had happened. Most foster parents were just fine with a hand shake, but these two were automatically different. They treated me at one of their own. Next, Maurice pulled me into an awkward side hug since I was just five one and he was a good foot and two inches taller than me.

"Thank you for taking me." I said softly. Maddie grabbed my luggage and handed it to her husband.

"No, no. Thank you, Chastity for coming here and living with us." She said, taking my now empty hand. "Come on in you two."

Once inside, I marveled at the multiple family pictures lined up across the walls. They already had six children, two of which were obviously adopted. My heart fluttered with excitement. Maybe these people will adopt me.

"See those two right there?" Maddie said softly, pointing to the boy and the girl at the end. "Those are our youngest, William and Wiloma. They're fraternal twins and seventeen years old. Nancy told me that you three will be in the same grade, so I scheduled some of your classes with each of them. The next two are our adopted kids; Lee and Lucia. They're in their feshman and sophomore years of college. Then there is our other set of twins, they're identical. Their names are Jason and James. I think we are going to have to do another family portrait to get you in their, Chastity."

"You can call me Chaz." I said, giving Maddie a small smile. Maddie nodded and drapped her arm around my shoulders.

"So, the oldest two arrived home last night from Michigan, so they're sleeping off their jetlag. Lucia should be here in half an hour and Lee ran down to the store to get food for tonight. Is there anything you would like to do?"

"Where are... William and Wiloma?" I asked. I wanted to meet the two family members I would be seeing the most.

"Unfortunately, they had final exams for the first semester today so they will be home around two-thirty." Maddie explained. "Have you eaten yet?"

"Not since breakfast. We had a two hour drive from Boston, Maddie." I said.

"Mo, do we have sandwhich food?" Maddie called to her husband. "No," He called back. "But we have cereal and milk!"

"It's fine, Maddie. I'm not really that hungry." I said as she pulled me to what I assumed to be the kitchen.

"Nonsense, Chastity. I'll get some food in your stomach and if you want, I can show you to your room and help you set it up." I smiled and nodded, pushing back some of my long brown hair.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"You don't need to thank me, Chastity. If everything goes as planned, Mo and I plan on adopting you, if that's alright with you." Maddie told me softly. I sniffed as I watched my foster mother grab several boxes of cereal.

"That's the one thing I've wanted my entire life." I told her.