04// MONSTROUS

CHAPTER FOUR; MONSTROUS

CHAPTER FOUR;
MONSTROUS

In hinds sight maybe accepting a ride from a complete stranger wasn't Jaelyn's brightest idea. Though Derek Hale seemed normal enough and hadn't asked her any creepy questions or sniffed her hair. Still she couldn't shake the feeling of uneasiness coursing through her body. Maybe it was because what she'd herd of Derek Hale, how his family died in that house fire. People tend to go a little dark after an event like that. It was even worse when her mind began racing with questions of Scott and his strange behavior at the party.

"Do you know what happened with Scott tonight?" Jaelyn asked. It was the first words she'd spoken to Derek sense he'd showed up back at Lydia's house, and the worry in her voice was clear.

"Sometimes he gets these migraines, they don't last long but when they start its pretty bad," Derek said. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about, the edge in his voice indicated it was a tricky subject and though Jaelyn was burning with questions she felt it was best to just drop it. Scott is probably at home resting, Jaelyn thought. Still this didn't calm her nerves at all.

"Look Jaelyn, you seem like a nice enough girl but I don't think Scott needs any distractions in his life right now," Derek said. Jaelyn was taken back, suddenly sadness filled her and all she could think about was rejection, from Scott and now from Derek. The feeling was short lived and soon replaced by an overwhelming amount of anger.

"I don't think I'm a distraction, Scott and I really like each other," Jaelyn said turning to Derek. And if looks could kill Derek would be a deadman.

"What you feel for Scott doesn't matter," he said the word 'feel' like it was putrid filth on his lips, "you'll never last."

Jaelyn has always had a longstanding hatred for authority. It started when her and Jackson were younger and because he is three minutes older, Jackson has always felt the need to constantly boss Jaelyn around. Now Derek, a guy she'd only known for ten minutes, was telling her who she could and couldn't date. At the moment it was taking everything in her not to reach around a punch him right in the neck.

"You know what you can just pull over, I can walk from here," Jaelyn said sternly. Derek seemed unfazed by the request, but still it was clear he'd never been challenged like this before, especially not by a sixteen year old girl.

Jaelyn hadn't even taken into consideration how far away she was from her house or the fact that she'd have to walk through the woods if she wanted to make it home by curfew. All she knew was that she was fuming and the air around her felt thick, like at any moment now she could freak out and bust a window. Something was terribly wrong, with Scott and with her. She could sense it, it was like everything inside her was beginning to crack and crumble. And sitting next to Derek, whom was looking at her through the windshield like she was a filthy stain, only added to the anguish she felt about Scott. Derek stopped the car pulling over near a small clearing, behind it was the start of the Beacon Hills preserve.