1.3) Heavy Mortal Hopes - Pt. 1

Third Person's POV:

Mia was in class with a bunch of other first years, sitting next to Beatrix.

"So, it's like the perfect pear, right? What you want me to do. You know how if you ever want to eat a pear, it's always rock solid; and you wait, and you wait, and it's still a rock, but when you touch it one second later, it becomes rotten mush," Terra said to Ms. Dowling, to which Musa responded with, "Ugh, I hate pears."

Headmistress Dowling walked over to Terra, "You're magic connects you to living things. Feel how they communicate to you. The subtle signals of nature. Pheromones, vibrations. You can give life, but there is such thing as giving too much," she said as Terra "gave too much life" to a plant and killed it.

"Too much is kind of her thing," Musa smiled.

"Which you can feel 'cause you're an exposed microphone on a windy peak. Think of focusing on one emotion, in one direction. Narrow the field," Ms. Dowling instructed as she touched Musa's forehead.

Dowling walked up to Bloom, "A fire that lays waste to everything in it's path is instinctual and impulsive. What about when you need that fire to stop? Can you light a single piece of kindle and leave the others untouched?" Ms. Dowling asked before Bloom proceeded to do just that.

Then, she walked up to Mia and Beatrix's desk, "Impressive, Beatrix. Keep it up."

"Got it, Ms. D. Headmistress Dowling," Beatrix said, quickly correcting herself.

The Headmistress stopped in front of Mia, "Shadows can be tricky to manipulate, often times their weak during the day and and uncontrollable during the night. Can you make a shadow from a dark place in the classroom and a bright place do the same thing?"

Mia easily turned a shadow by the window into a butterfly, but struggled to gain control over a shadow from the corner of the classroom. After a few seconds of struggling, Mia was able to contort the shadow into a butterfly as well and bring them both together and closer to her, making them fly above the desk.

Ms. Dowling smiled at her, "Good job," before walking away and towards Aisha.

"Wow, impressive. Kind of hot actually," Beatrix whispered into Mia's hear. Mia giggled softly and light slapped Beatrix's arm.

*****

Mia and Riven were walking into the cafeteria when they heard Beatrix scream, "So get off me, you massive pedo!"

Mia and Riven stood on either side of Beatrix. Riven put an apple in his mouth and turned his so Beatrix could take a bite, and Beatrix turned her head so that Mia could take a bite before giving the apple back to Riven.

"I'm gonna go check on my Dad, I'll see you guys later," Mia said.

"Bye Mia," Riven and Beatrix said at the same time before chuckling.

Mia smiled as she walked out of the cafeteria and towards the greenhouse.

"How bad is it?" She asked once she entered the greenhouse, her smile falling from her face when she saw her father.

"Is profesor Harvey gonna up your dose of Zanbaq? He said it'd keep the wounds at bay-"

"Until it can't anymore," Mr. Silva interupted.

"Sky can run the first year spars while you take it easy until the battalion gets to the Burned One, Dad. What's the status?"

"They've tracked it 40 kilometers north of here. They'll engage it soon," Mr. Silva said.

"And when they do, are they going to-"

"I have every confidence that they will complete the mission. They will kill it. The only question is when," Silva said, interrupting Mia.

"What do you mean," she asked.

"The, uh... the infection is spreading quickly now. When it reaches my heart.."

"H-how long do you have?" Mia asked, her concern quickly growing.

"I don't know. I don't know, but probably not very long."

"So what do we do?"

Silva slowly gets up from his chair, "Well, I've spoken to my seconds about the plans for your training, Dowling is aware of my wishes for you and Sky."

"I asked you a question, Dad," Mia asked, her voice slightly cracking and her eyes filling up with tears.

"And I answered it, Mia. Soldiers have to have these types of conversations with the people that matter to them. We make a plan. That's what we can do."

"No, there has to be something else. I-I'm not just gonna stand here while you're dying, Dad," Mia's voice wavered.

"I will keep you updated on the battalion's progress. Do you understand?"

Mia nodded and whispered, "Yeah."

Silva cups her cheek and lightly kisses her forehead, "I love you, Mia. Never forget that."

"I love you too, Dad," Mia said before kissing her father on the cheek and leaving the greenhouse.

*****

Mia was in her room getting ready for the party later when she heard Terra yell, "Does anyone know how to do a good cat eye?"

She walked out of her room and into the bathroom where she saw Bloom and Aisha by the door.

"I've done, like, 50 tutorials and this is what I get. What does Huda Kattan have that I don't?" Terra asked.

"Uh, talent?" Aisha answered.

"Taste and Style," Mia replied.

"Millions of followers," Bloom responded.

"Wait, why is Mia the only one getting for the party?" Terra asked.

"I've got to study," Aisha said.

"Yeah, I've got-"

"Cool, I don't care. You must come. I need full suite support," Terra said, interrupting Bloom.

"Musa or Stella?" Terra asked when someone knocked on the bathroom door.

"Well, this is weird," Musa said as she entered the bathroom.

"Get dressed. We have to go. We're going to go to the party. We're going to show everybody that we're cool and... and... fun, and-"

"Hot?" Musa smiled.

The girls fix Terra's make-up and all get ready for the party together.

*****

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, and I hope you all have a great week! :)

Published: 03/21/2021

Words: 1,012