FOUR

CHAPTERFOUR

CHAPTER
FOUR

MY SISTER CHOOSES HER PATH

SOON AFTER OUR conversation with Artemis, Zoë had come in. They exchanged a few words before Zoë leaving. There was a comfortable silence that Bianca would break from time to time to ask questions.

I took the time to look at the tent again. The animal pelts all looked unique, unlike I've ever seen before. The hunters must've traveled all around this country, probably even the world, to get these.

"Join us, Percy Jackson," Artemis said.

I looked away from the tents realizing Percy had entered the tent. He looked uncomfortable as he sat across from Artemis.

"Are you surprised by my age?" she asked, my eyes widened.

I was too focused in my own little world that I didn't notice how young she looked. She must be thousands of years old yet she still looks like a young girl. "Uh... a little," Percy answered.

"I could appear as a grown woman, or a blazing fire, or anything else I want, but this is what I prefer. This is the average age of my Hunters, and all young maidens for whom I am patron, before they go astray," Artemis explained.

Percy and her continued their conversation which I tuned out for the most part. She'd already explained some of it to Bianca and I.

I only entered the conversation again once Bianca had spoke, "Stirring," She corrected Percy's last statement.

"Yeah. And he said, 'Soon we shall have the most important monster of all—the one that shall bring about the downfall of Olympus," Percy added.

Both Artemis and Zoë looked like statues. Not moving, not even an inch. "Maybe he was lying?" I questioned, somewhat nervous.

Artemis shook her head, "No. He was not. I've been too slow to see the signs. I must hunt this monster."

Zoë nodded, she looked like she wasn't trying to be afraid which scared me. What could be so and that it would scare an immortal huntress, one who helped take down a minotaur! "We will leave right away, my lady."

"No, Zoe. I must do this alone."

"But, Artemis—"

"This task is too dangerous even for the Hunters. You know where I must start my search. You cannot go there with me." Too dangerous for the hunters? I couldn't imagine what's going on, but I know it's something big.