TWO

chapter two' weird dreams '

chapter two
' weird dreams '

MARIA DI ANGELO KNEW THAT THIS WASN'T NORMAL, she was being held hostage by some monster with her siblings. Not just that but she'd finally thought about the fact that she couldn't remember her childhood at all, except for the vague memory that threw her off at the worst time ever.

The air seemed to go still as a terrifying feeling spreaded throughout the Di Angelo children. All of them stared at the slightly disoriented Dr. Thorn, not a single child let out a whisper let alone a sound. Even so, Maria felt the tight squeeze her hands were trapped by Nico. The feeling felt familiar, and with ease her mind slipped back into the memory.

Things were weird. Maria could feel it in her bones.

Her Mama acted as if everything was normal, getting the three ready for the day, but she'd caught a glimpses of the paper. Tales of Nazis, Germans, and Jewish people were spreading around like wildfire. Maria wasn't jewish, she'd grown up a very catholic household and community. That's exactly why she feared for them.

She and her siblings heard the elders talk about their mother, having a child out of wedlock then the father barely ever being around. Maria wanted to hit them, scream, shout, anything, but, it's not anything they could do. She was born different, and had to live with it. But the tales in the newspaper, it was far from comparison to the little whispers and gossip about the Di Angelo's. Maria knew that.

She'd picked up Nico, and held Bianca's hand, about to leave for school and daycare. Her bones shivered and teeth clattered. An overwhelming feeling of fear seeped throughout her bones, not just fear but also death. Nico began wailing and Bianca looked up at her an anxious look on her face. She wasn't the only one who felt it, also her sister and brother. Something was coming and that was going to shake the whole world.

World. World- World War! World War II! The Nazis, the germans, and jewish people. Things clicked in Maria's mind as she was snapped back into reality. She breathed heavy as if she was a sailor that'd just struck land after sailing for days.

She immediately felt the weird glances from Bianca and Nico. His hand shuffled around hers and she could feel the sweat build up as they were scrunched close together sitting down. It was a dark corridor and they'd picked  the sport farthest from Thorn's standing point.

Maria took a breath, why'd it have to be her? Why couldn't she just be, well, regular? Why couldn't she just live a happy life with her siblings? They'd never done anything wrong, always got good grades, always respected the adults even if they were rude to them. With a slow exhale, Maria put her thoughts to the side. She couldn't pity herself if she never tried to get a happy regular life.

Nico glanced at his sisters. Bianca was visibly shaking, she was in the other side of Maria. Her face was cold and emotionless, as if she didn't want to show her fear. Though her slight flinches whenever someone moved and shaking hands told everyone that wasn't the case.