Chapter 1 - Waking Up

"Wait!!!"

Huh? Who's voice was that? There was so much desperation behind it.

Why did you feel so overwhelmingly sad. Is it sadness? What is this feeling?

You open your eyes.  You sit in a dark room. Large windows fill the walls of the room. It's night time. A large blue moon fills the room with an ominous glow. Where the hell are you? Who are you? A memory bubbles to the surface of your mind. I'm... YN. But what the hell am I doing here?

You stand up and approach the windows. The sky looks beautiful. Stars prominent against the black sky and the moon hanging huge and ocean blue. It looks unnatural. Before you can ponder this any further you catch your reflection. HC hair draped around a vacant face. EC eyes staring back. Eyes that look void of any life. You're wearing a white long T-shirt over denim shorts and black well worn boots. You notice a black satchel bag draped across your shoulder. Huh? Who put that there? You put your hand inside. Hmm. Nothing in there that seems familiar to you.

The overwhelming sadness resurfaces. Why? What? Before you can even think again it's gone. Nothing. And a feeling of emptiness fills the void.

OK. Well as pretty as the sky looks right now you can't stay in this weird room forever. You approach the door and step through into a long corridor. You see what must be an elevator at the end. OK. Fine, nothing else around let's just go into the elevator. You enter the elevator. Weird, there's no floor buttons? Where the fuck are you? What the fuck is this? You press the only button there and feel the elevator jolt to life and eventually move down. Where the hell are you and where the hell are you going. Why do you feel like you're being pulled somewhere where you're meant to be yet having no idea where you're going?

Story of your life, being dragged along by invisible strings of fate. Sure on this occasion there was absolutely no other choice, but still. Why do you weirdly feel like you're meant to go this way? Meant to be here? Waking up not knowing where the fuck you are yet drawn to where you need to go? The elevator jolts and the doors open. Guess we'll see what fate has in store for you.

Jesus Christ it's rank down here. Looks like the slums of somewhere. Run down streets, but in a building? What? That can't be right? Are you on a movie set or something? Whatever. You move forwards. It's crazy how much detail you notice as you move forwards. Back street alley ways turned to wide roads. Where are you going? You don't know. Just keep moving. Trust this feeling in your gut that you're meant to be here and you're meant to keep moving.

You notice papers stuck to walls and lampposts. "Wanted" you can't care enough to read the rest. The string of fate is tugging far too hard. Pushing you onwards. However, for the first time a sense of unease starts to settle. No. You shouldn't be here yet. Why are you here? Somethings missing. This is clearly an unsafe area. Why haven't you seen anyone yet? Any signs of life? Just as this final thought floats by a bird flies into your vision.

"Oh! Hello there!" It lands at your feet. Chirping away. "Hi birdie..." you whisper softly. Christ. Talking to a bird now? It cocks it's head to the side and continues to chirp. You crouch down and edge closer. A feeling of calm washes over you. I'm not alone. There's life here with me. Unfortunately the feeling is short lived.

Within seconds there's a huge crash and the door to your right blows across your vision as if blown open with the force of a hurricane.  The shock of it knocks you on your ass. What the fuck? Dust clouds your vision and debris tumbles all around you. You can hear coughing. Is that you coughing? But louder than that is the sound of manic laughter.

"Hey little birdie! You're just in time I was about to go crazy!!"

What the FUCK?! The dust had settled and before you stood a mummy holding a gigantic scythe

What the FUCK?! The dust had settled and before you stood a mummy holding a gigantic scythe. Despite your crippling fear your mind registered his face and hands covered in bandages. He wore a brown hoodie with the hood up and red jeans with black boots. Black hair draped over his bandaged face. He was smiling like a madman. His eyes were nearly black his pupils had blown so wide but you noticed they were GLOWING?! You were frozen in fear. He was laughing dramatically and swung his scythe landing just before you.

"This is the part where ya run."

He was laughing swinging the scythe all the while like it was nothing. You jumped to your feet and ran. You didn't know where you were going but you could hear the maniac laughing behind you. Fuck! You were turning corners here and there on auto pilot when you saw it. An elevator! It was half hidden by debris. No one would have noticed it unless they had been there before you realised. Have you been here before? The sound of manic laughing returned from behind you.

"Where are ya goin', huh?! That's a dead end ya dumb bitch!"

You threw yourself at the calling button.  Mercifully it opened immediately and you ran in. Please close, please close, please close! You could do nothing but watch as the maniac continued hurtling towards you. A comically confused look flashed over his features for a moment. Seconds later a shit eating grin spread across his face as he ran towards you laughing and swinging the scythe up to strike. The doors shut just in time. The scythe cut through the elevator door.

"Shit!" You heard him say. The scythe was removed just as the elevator started moving up.

You stood heaving. Who the fuck was that? What the fuck was this place? And why did you seem to know exactly where you were going?