Chapter 2 - Danny

You were struggling to catch your breath when the elevator doors slid open with a ping. What the fuck? A hospital? The clean white corridors and harsh bright lighting was a stark contrast to the previous floor. There was a chemical smell in the air. Why did this floor freak you out more than the last? There was nothing else to do but step out and continue along the corridor.

It was eerily quiet except the buzz of the lighting strips above and your tentative footsteps along the lino floor. There were coves of beds on the sides of the floor. All the beds were set up but there was no sign of any patients. Everything was pristine clean and unused. What the hell was this?

The corridor seemed to stretch on and on. You were feeling more and more uneasy the further you went. This isn't right. You couldn't shake the feeling you shouldn't be here. Moreover you had the strongest feeling that you wanted to be anywhere but here, but why? It's just a hospital? And where else was there to go? Before your thoughts could spiral any further a door swung open from what you had assumed was an empty examination room behind you. You whirled round. The door was open but there was no other sound or movement. I need to get out of here. You turned to run the rest of the way along the corridor. Immediately  you turned straight into a white coat and felt a vice like grip to both your arms.

"YN!" An overly cheery voice came from the coat.  You looked up and saw a young guy with glasses and soft bouncy brown hair beaming down at you.

The grip on your arms tightened

"I'm so glad you're safe" he said. He bent down and put his face to yours.

"You're not hurt are you?" He was uncomfortably close. You tried to back away but his grip prevented any movement. You craned your neck away from him to get some space. He was staring at you now with a blank serious face. What was with this guy? You shook your head while still trying to back away. He seemed to get the hint.

"Good good" he said standing up straight again with a return of the blinding beaming smile.  His vice grip never faltered.

"And where's Zack?" He said bending back down again with a serious look and almost threatening tone. Was this guy bi polar or what. You got serious Jekyll and Hyde vibes. He looked young and friendly and kinda cute in all honestly when he was smiling. But then the mask dropped and he became serious and sinister when he goes all up in your face.

He continued to stare into your soul waiting for an answer. He was uncomfortably close again. Your noses almost touching. You pulled your head back as best you could.

"Zack?" You didn't even recognise your own voice. Zack? Were you supposed to know a Zack? He continued to stare. Why did you feel like he was assessing you in that moment? You squirmed in an attempt to get out of his grip which was starting to hurt. After a good minute or so he stood up and released you. The smile had returned to his face and he pushed his glasses up his nose.