TWO

Mila sat alone in her cell, unaccompanied by any guards. For the first time in a long time she was by herself. She didn't know if that comforted her or not, she couldn't focus with all of the noise that was echoing throughout the building. Mila had tried to fall asleep, knowing that she was alone the guards couldn't hurt her in her sleep. But something was keeping her up, the sound of screaming, a man screaming. He sounded hurt, like he was being burned. The screams made a pit in her stomach, she didn't know why she was feeling anger towards the people who were hurting him. She didn't know who he was and for all she knew he deserved the punishment he was getting. That's what everyone told her, that pain was a consequence and that man must have done something horrible to be screaming in this much pain.

Footsteps hit the floor hurriedly, coming closer to Mila's cell. She jolted up right, making it look like she hadn't been trying to sleep. She didn't want them to try anything. "Mila? Mila are you awake?" Dr. Pavlov whispered as she reached the door of the cell.

"Doctor? What are you doing? What's going on?" Mila questioned. She was scared, she wouldn't admit it but she was. Yana never saw Mila outside of the comfort of her lab, this concerned Mila.

"We don't have time for questions Mila. I have to get you out of here now" she had a worried tone in her voice but her face was completely calm. She unlocked the doors and picked Mila up under her arms, holding the light little girl on her waist. She hadn't even asked Mila for permission to touch her so this must be extremely important. Mila clung to Yana's shoulders as she ran down the halls. Voices and footsteps emerged from the hall they were running down, Yana skidded to a stop and turned down another hall, away from the noise. The mans screaming could still be heard. His voice was breaking causing his screams to sound like sandpaper on a chalkboard.

"Yana what's happening?" she mumbled in her ear, ducking her head in the crock of Yana's neck.

"Shh you'll be alright" she attempted to calm Mila's nerves as well as her own. The voices grew louder, yelling could be heard in the distance.

"Find the girl and the doctor. Now!" the old man shouted. Sparking fear into Mila, she hated when people shouted but she never showed it. Yana continued running and turning corners until she came to halt. In front of her were five guards all pointing guns at the pair. Five more came and closed them in from behind. The old man parted the troops and stood in front of Yana. She cradled Mila's head so she couldn't look up and see the men with guns.

"You can't do this. Not now, he isn't stable. He'll hurt her you know that!" she begged. "She goes in there she isn't coming out alive!"

"I don't care she's going in and if you try to stop me" he leaned into her face "I'll kill her myself" he threatened. The old man signaled and two guards ripped Mila away from Yana. The two tried to hold on to each other, they screamed and yelled but nothing worked. Yana was cuffed and pulled in the opposite direction of the small girl.

Her red hair was sticking to her face from her tears. The bruises around her eyes from the day before stung as she kept punching herself, hoping to get the guard to drop her. He didn't, instead he opened a metal door and threw her in, slamming the door shut when she hit the cold floor.

The cries of the man sitting in a metal contraption stopped when he saw her. Mila stood up and looked at the window on one of the walls. She hadn't seen the man yet, all she could see was the worried look of Yana and the sick smile the old man was sporting. Mila turned her head to the middle of the room, there attached to the floor in front of her was a chair. A big metal chair that looked like a throne, only this one did not seat royalty, it sat a broken man. Her eyes trailed up the machine to see a man. He was quiet, you couldn't even hear him breathe, his long hair covered his eyes. His chest was exposed and Mila could make out small cuts and bruises on his torso. Tears stained his face but the strangest thing about him were his arms. One was flesh, it had all his fingers and the veins that ran up his forearms and into his biceps were visible but the other, was different. It was made of metal. Indents ran up through the arm and in the middle was a red star. Mila had seen the star every where she went. It didn't scare her like she thought it would.

She walked towards the man, slowly dragging her feet along as if her mind was moving faster than her body. The man visibly tensed, he couldn't understand what a child was doing here. This place was not safe for children, he was not safe for children. Mila saw his metal arm tighten, she jumped at the mechanical noise it made.

When she reached the spot in front of him the old man hit a switch that unlocked his restraints. Expecting the man to attack Mila he sat back and watched the scene unfold. Yana bite at her nails in anticipation, she had no idea what was going to happen to Mila.

The man sat up straight after the restraints were released. Mila looked at him and, smiled. She smiled lightly not wanting to scare the man. He was shocked, she wasn't afraid of him. Instead she placed her feet on the foot rest of the chair and put her small hands on the mans knee. He didn't move out of fear of hurting her or the confusion running laps in his brain over what she was doing. Mila pushed her self up off the foot rest and onto the mans lap. She sat on his legs and gently poked his flesh arm, then his cheeks, and finally his metal arm.

The old man was at a loss for words, this wasn't supposed to happen. Mila looked the man in the eyes and spoke "My name is Mila. I like your arm". Her voice was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard. He knew who she was but he didn't know why, that didn't matter to him. This little girl was precious and she wasn't afraid of him.

Nothing was going to happen to this little girl ever again. He wouldn't let it.