FOUR

Her quiet footsteps were drowned out by the clicking heels of Yana's shoes. They were grey, the bottoms were scuffed, she probably owned only 2 or 3 pairs of shoes. She only had so much time to pack her essentials and leave her home forever. Life before Hydra was, peaceful. She had no one to give her orders, no reason for her to keep a gun under her pillow at night. Yana never saw her self living this life but she did what she had to do in order to survive. 

  Mila rubbed her eyes harshly with her fists. The bright lights of the hallway were hard to get used to compared to the dim lights in her new room. Guards stared at the two girls as they walked down the hall. Heads dipped down to get a better look. Yana and Mila were used to the stares by now. Mila didn't know any different but Yana knew how disgusting it was. How degrading it was to be stared down by old crusty men who have nothing better to do than to make women uncomfortable. But that was their reality, with or without Hydra.

 As the pair approached her office a guard walked towards Yana, he eyed her up and down before going to touch her. Mila saw what he was about to do and stepped on his foot with as much force as she could muster in her small body. "Don't touch her" she squeaked. The guard looked at her in anger and slapped her across the face. Yana pushed the man away and picked Mila up quickly, rushing into her office. Mila wasn't crying or even showing an ounce of pain. She even had a smirk on her face.

 "Mila, what'd you do that for?" 

 "My Papa told me that it wasn't okay to let them touch us, so I tried to get him to stop" she lifted her head up high to show how strong she was.

 "He really does care about you doesn't he?" she said to no one in particular.

 "Why wouldn't he? He is the only person here who doesn't hurt me. You told me that the people who care about me are the people who don't hurt me, remember?"

 Realizing Mila heard what she said, she sat her in a chair and knelt down beside her. "Of course I remember Mila, I just, I'm surprised at how quickly you two grew accustomed to each other, that's all."

 Mila pushed herself backwards in the spiny chair that was placed next to a desk. Yana began to walk over to the counter with the supplies for Mila's injection. A butterfly sticker was placed on the wall next to the patient bed. Mila ran her fingers along the sparkly body of the butterfly, wiping the excess sparkles on her shirt. "Well, it's kinda weird being in there. At first it was scary because some nights Papa woke up screaming, shouting peoples names in his sleep. The nights he wasn't waking up, I was. I felt bad for waking him up."

 Yana placed her things down gently on the table beside the bed. Her hands slowly and carefully moving toward Mila. She picked her up from the chair and sat her on the bed. "Mila, what wakes you up at night?" she asked quietly. Mila paused to think, then she lifted her head up to face her.

 "The faces."

                         ***

May 12th 2000

Siberia, Russia

Beeping filled the room. Breaths were held. Hands clutched at white lab coats. Doctors ran up and down hallways carrying trays of equipment. Years of preparation, determination and patience lead up to this very moment. 3 doctors huddled around a small table. A lifeless body laid still, wires that were connected to machines were attached to the pale, fragile fingertips of the body. 

 Pens scribbled across papers as the doctors paced back and forth waiting for a sign. Just as it seemed all hope had been lost, a small breath could be heard. The lifeless body, now moving slowly up and down. Indicating sign of life. Cheers and congratulations spread across the room like wildfire. Hydra had successfully completed their mission. The creation of artificial life. 

  "You, write this down" a man in a white lab coat pointed at a younger doctor. "Attempt number 6, successful. The creation of artificial life has been achieved on this day. Going forward, we can create an army of super soldiers and finish what Hydra failed to do 8 years ago"

***

Present day

He trailed his cold metal fingers across the wall. Pacing back and forth, anxiety running through his veins. He was told to get ready for a mission but Mila had not returned yet. It had only been 2 weeks but he already knew he would do everything to protect this little red headed girl. She had wormed her way into his cold heart in a matter of minutes.

 "We are leaving soldier, now" a voice called from the other side of the steel door. It opened revealing the Old Man. He was dressed in a grey suit and had a broach on his left lapel. It was the sign of Hydra. He stalked towards the soldier.

 "No wait, she's not back yet".

 "She will be here when you get back soldier now get out".

 "No I'm not leaving until I see her" he demanded. He knew he shouldn't have done it but he needed to know Mila was okay.

 The Old Man slapped him hard across the face. "Don't make me wipe her from your memories soldier, remember your place in this. You are coming with us now or I'll see to it that she never returns to this room". The soldier looked at the man with hurt in his eyes. He knew that he wasn't lying about his threat. The soldier stuck his hands out in front of him and the Old Man slapped a special pair of handcuffs around his wrists. The pair walked out of the room, a squad of guards followed behind. Hallways passed by, the rooms around him drowned out by the thought of Mila. 

 As they came to a sharp corner of the hall, a faint scream could be heard. The soldier perked up at the sound and tried to make a run towards it. The guards quickly cornered him, restraining him.

 The screams grew louder and his anger with it. The Old Man tried to tell him that she was okay, she was getting her injections so she could live but the soldier wasn't having it. He thrashed around, knocking two guards unconscious and punching another in the nose. It wasn't until the Old Man walked in front of him calmly and spoke, "Sputnik". The soldier immediately shut down.

 "Take him to the plane, I'll take care of the rest" he ordered. The remaining guards picked him up and dragged him away. The Old Man walked straight into Dr. Pavlov's office. The two girls were startled at the sudden interruption. He walked right up to Mila, pointed his finger right at her, looking her in the face. "Next time, you shut your mouth, no screaming or yelling. You hold the pain inside and do not let it show. Is that understood?" he spat.

 She looked at him, confused as to what she did wrong.

 "Is that understood?" he was yelling now.

 She shook her head up and down quickly. "Yes sir, understood. Show no pain"

 "Good girl", and with that he walked out of the office. A smirk on his face and an idea in his head. 

Hello! I hope you are enjoying the story so far. If you have an ideas or comments please let me know! I did have to change the years at the beginning of the story. It used to say 1999 and 2005 but I changed them to 2000 and 2006 so it fit with the story better. Thank you for reading.

-Emma