TWENTY SIX

Still seated, munching away on her fifth piece of toast, Mila blocked out most of the adults conversation. She could hear Sam and Steve in cage in conversation but noticed Natasha was a bit quieter than the rest.

Mila swallowed the last of her toast and spun around in her seat. Waving her fingers back and forth caught Nat's attention. She mouthed something to the woman, hoping she would understand. Nat just smiled and nodded slightly. Bringing herself into the conversation, Mila looked at Steve.

"So the real question is how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a Shield officer in broad day light," his voice was cold and questioning. Mila raised her eyebrow and shrugged. Sam walked back into the kitchen, Mila hadn't even notice him leave, carrying a manila folder in hand.

"The answer is, you don't". He dropped the folder in front of Steve. Mila pushed herself onto her knees on the seat so she could see across the table.

Steve reached for the folder. "What's this?"

"Call it a resume," Sam looked intently at Steve before glancing at Mila quickly. Nat stretched her arm over the table, grabbing the photo attached to the folder.

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khaild Khandil mission, that was you?" Nat looked at Sam, handing the picture off to Steve. Keeping her gaze directed to Sam, Nat spoke again. "You didn't say he was a a Pararescue".

Mila stretched her neck to be able to see the picture until giving up and getting off the seat and walking up to Steve. "Is this Riley?" Steve's voice had a hint of sadness that only Mila seemed to pick up on. She looked up at Sam, sadness quickly washing over him before speaking.

"Yeah". Sam looked down to the table, keeping his gaze on the orange juice. Mila had seen that before, she had done that before, her papa had done that before. Sam looked guilty. Waiting for Sam to look back up, she shot him a saddened smile. He smiled back.

"Heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPG's. What'd you use? A stealth suit?" Natasha asked, looking up from the picture.

"No. These". Sam picked up the folder from the table, passing it to Steve. After a quick glimpse at it, Steve looked up, a small smirk on his lips. Mila smiled.

"I thought you said you were a pilot," he questioned. Sam shook his head and smirked,

"I never said pilot," he laughed. Mila pulled on Steve's arm, wanting to see the picture. He handed her the folder and Mila was in awe, grinning ear to ear. Steve sighed, shaking his head.

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason".

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in," Sam said, catching a glimpse of Mila, who was smiling at the folder in front of her.

Steve sighed again. "Where can we get our hands on one of these?"

Sam smiled. "The last one is in Fort Meade. Behind three guarded gates and a twelve inch steel wall".

Steve looked at Natasha who shrugged and Mila who smirked mischievously. She was going to be doing something bad, but for a good reason. That's all she wanted to do know. "Shouldn't be a problem".

***

Perched along a window in a tall apartment building, Mila kept one eye looking through the scope of her sniper rifle. Her finger hovered up the red laser button. Mila thought for sure Steve or Nat would make sure the safety was on, but they let her set it up on her own, trusting her.

"There, he's right there. Walking out of the building. Grey tie, silver pin," Nat whispered, looking up from her binoculars. Mila found the target, shifting her body so that the scope lined up with the man. Mila watched as the target and another man embraced each other before separating.