NINETEEN

"Longing. Rusted." Screams filled the room.

"Seventeen. Daybreak. Furnace". More painful yelling.

"Nine. Benign. Homecoming. One." Doctors covered their ears with their hands, unable to listen any longer.

"Freight car". Silence, doctors removed their cold hands from their ears.

"Soldier?"

Barely second passed before he spoke. "Ready to comply".

Yana stood near the back of the room, tears pricking her eyes. It was unbearable to watch. Her heart broke as she watched the man she loved be torn apart and messily sewn back together again. Yana's gaze met his stormy blue eyes, clouded over with no emotion. He was empty inside and it showed.

She knew he remembered who she was, his eyes told her so when he gazed over her body. A small flicker of hope flowed through his orbs, vanishing the second a hand was placed on his shoulder. "Prepare him for his mission, and bring the girl to me," the Old Man announced.

A team of guards pulled the Soldier away from Yana. He turned around to face her, sadness in his eyes. Yana tried to follow him but a hand grabbed her wrist. The Soldier stopped walking, facing Yana and the Old Man. Not leaving until his hand left the woman's wrist. "You have a mission to prepare for Soldier, get going," he spat. Yana wiped the saliva off her nose, hiding her disgust from the man. She looked at the Soldier and nodded.

He turned back around walking out of the room, the guards holding their guns a little tighter than normal. "Where is Mila?"

"She is waiting to be escorted out of the building sir," a doctor spoke, fear lacing his words.

"Bring her to me," he demanded. The doctor shook his head rapidly.

"Right away sir".

Yana ran dashed out of the room, in search of the girl she had just been with ten minutes prior. Her heart was racing, she could feel it in her ear drums. The old stained grey shoes she wore were not meant for running. After a full lap around the building she couldn't find Mila.

A loud yell caught her attention. She poked her head through the closest door on her right. Inside were three guards and the Soldier. The guards were trying to dress him in his suit but he wouldn't let them, holding one man by the throat with his mental hand. The others knew they couldn't shoot at him and they didn't know how to calm him down.

"Hey," she called out. The three guards turned towards her. She tilted her head to the side, signaling the men to move. The two who could move did, the other stood in fear, a metal hand clamped around his throat.

Yana stepped into the room. The Soldier paid no attention to her. Yana slowly placed her hand on his shoulder, feeling the tension release the second she touched him. The Soldier loosened his grip on the man, allowing him to slip away and out of the room.

He turned to face the woman, pain in his eyes. She picked up the black shirt he was meant to wear, pulling it over his head. Her finger ran over the clips and straps on his vest. Everything about was meant to look like a straight jacket. She shuddered at the thought. Putting it on him, clipping it up and tightening the straps she blinked back tears.

The Soldier stared at her, not moving his gaze even when she would pull his arms through the sleeves of his jacket. Yana met his eyes, letting a few tears trickle down her pale skin. He lifted his flesh hand up to cup her cheek, brushing away the hot tears on her face.

Yana placed her warm hands over his, melting into his touch. She watched as he let her go, clipping on weapons and placing a muzzle over the bottom half of his face. More tears escaped, she couldn't help it. He looked terrifying and he knew it. Every part of her was screaming that he was dangerous but she didn't listen. She felt it in her heart that he was good and she loved him.