TEN

"Papa. Papa wake up, Papa"

He jolted awake. Confusion filled his blue eyes. Beads of sweat dripped from his forehead. His hands were shaking and he subconsciously reached over to the other side of the cot, feeling around, gripping at the sheets. Only to find nothing there. A feeling he couldn't recall pushed at his chest, suffocating him but, at the same time freeing him. 

A memory he couldn't piece together was prodding at his brain. Images of red hair flashed before his eyes, green orbs filled his mind. The sound of laughter so sweet he thought he was dreaming. The feeling of small hands holding his gnawed at him.

A loud noise echoed throughout the room. An imprint of a fist was molded into the cell wall. The knuckles on his flesh hand began to bleed. Frustration plagued him. Questions of who this person was that he kept seeing flooded his brain. 

The metal door opened loudly, two guards walked in. The Soldier stood from his cot, quickly pulling the blankets up trying to make the bed. Order and discipline were rewarded. He moved the small pillow off of the wall and into it's proper place, a flicker of coloured light blinded him. His eyes darted to the direction of light. On the wall, hidden behind the pillow was a sticker. A beautiful, colourful sticker of a butterfly caught his attention.

"Fluture? Right papa?" her voice was soft but there was no face. He felt her small hands on his cold metal one. Her hands were warm enough to bring warmth to his whole body. 

"Yes Mila, fluture"  Butterfly 

The Soldier placed the pillow back up against the wall before turning to face the guards, hiding the happiness in eyes.

Loud footsteps pounded in his ears, the clicking of pens irritated him. The hiss of his metal arm clenching and unclenching drove him mad. Wires attached to his body like he was some sort of machine. Green eyes stared into his ocean orbs. Red hair mocked him. He understood what it all meant. Who this little girl was he kept seeing. Memories of her screams poked at him. Mila.

No one could know he remembered, they would wipe him if they found out. He just remembered his baby, he wasn't going to give up on her. Beeping of the machines filled the room, quite chatter flowed throughout. The Soldier caught a few of the nervous looks from the doctors, sure he had seen them before but none like this. The doors flew open.

"Out of my way. Get out of my way" an angry voice pushed through the tension in the room. The Old Man rushed up to the Soldier, ears red, eyebrows in a permanent pinch. "Where is she?" he demanded.

Confusion struck his face. "Where is she?" the man yelled. It was almost as if you could see the steam coming from his ears. The Old Man realized the Soldier didn't know who he was talking about. "Where is Mila?" It came out as a hushed growl. 

The Soldier froze momentarily, not letting his guard down. So that's who he was talking about. He knew he needed to lie. "Who is Mila?" His voice was rough, yet gentle. Afraid he might give his truth away. The Old Man smirked. He placed his calloused hand on his shoulder.

"Prep him, he has a new mission".

"But sir we were just preparing him for the one you gave us-".

"Just do it, before I make you his new mission". 

The doctor swallowed the bile in his throat and nodded rapidly. "Yes sir, of course sir". He snapped his fingers and everyone in the room began to prep the Soldier for his new mission. The Soldier didn't care that he had to pretend he didn't know who Mila was, she was missing and most likely in danger. He was going to save her, that much was true.