NINE

Weeks had passed since the Soldier's memory wiping. Mila hadn't said a word. She followed her daily routine. Wake up, eat, train, practice ballet, eat, sleep. It was a continuous cycle. She slept in her own cell now, alone, no watch dogs with grimy fingers and sweaty brows. The Old Man must have told them off when he put it together what they would do to her. He was a horrible man but at least he had the decency to understand the wrongs of sexual assault.

Mila had blocked out the world. She was numb. Void of all emotion. Dr. Pavlov tried to talk to her but it went in one ear and out the other. She had no reasoning for anything anymore. 

Her heart was broken, she had never experienced a feeling like this before. She didn't eat, everything reminded her of him but nothing reminded him of her. She felt hopeless. Alone. 

Viktor took advantage of her solemn state. He pushed her harder, longer lessons, tougher fights. He decided to up the ante, the more effort she put into training the more bullets she put into peoples heads. Her numb state left her feeling empty after killing people. She found it to be second natural at that point. The knife throwing, sharp shooting, she was a natural. Today was different though. Mila was surprised to see the training room empty when she walked in. There were no matts or weapons in the armory. 

"Viktor?" she was silenced as a bag was put over her head. Mila kicked and tried to stop whoever it was that had taken her. A punch to the temple knocked her out cold.

Mila awoke with a jump. Her vision was blurred and she could feel a hot liquid running down her face. She could barely make out her surroundings. Her hands were tied behind her back around a wooden chair. She was in an empty office building, a few windows here and there let in some light. The floor she was on had no desks or offices, just clear floors filled with dust and debris. Most likely an old building that people stopped caring about.

Listening to the sounds outside, Mila was able to put herself on either the third or fourth floor. She looked around the room, there wasn't anyone else on this floor. Her heart was racing, hands sweating. Why was she here? confusion washed over her like seismic waves. Mila had never been outside of the base before. The only ideas of what it looked like were from her papa's storytelling.

After coming to her senses, she remembered her training. She used as much strength as she could muster and snapped her wrists free from the rope. Breaking the leg of the chair in half, Mila held it up in front of her like a spear. Slowly making her way to a door she stepped into a patch of sunlight. Immediately she stepped away from it. What was that? She remembered something her papa told her.

"What's it like out there papa?" her mouth curved into a small smile. Mila climbed into his lap, her small fingers wrapping around his metal ones. He waited till she got comfortable, that wouldn't happen, he knew that. Mila could never sit still. The ballet lessons were teaching her to control that but it was still a habit.

"Well it's colourful for starters, lots of greens and blue, some yellows and reds too" he stopped when he said red. Images of the blood on his hands came to mind. "Some purples and pinks" he pointed to the butterfly sticker above her head. She giggled. Her legs switched places in her criss- cross position.

"What else?" she asked.

"Well there are trees, they're the same colour as your eyes" he poked her nose. "There are lakes and oceans, they can either be really cold or just right" he slid his flesh hand up and down her arm, warming her up. "There is also the sun, the source of light and heat for the whole planet. It's big and bright and yellow. It makes you feel safe" he said gloomily. 

"Soare?" she answered, more as a question than a statement. He looked at her smiling face. Sun

"Yeah soare. Good job Mila" he gently high-fived her. Mila jumped from her papa's lap, laughing and twirling around their cell.

She remembered that her papa told her the sun was okay, it made him feel safe, so it would make Mila feel safe too. She placed one foot in front of the other, carefully and calculated, into the area of sunlight that shone through a whole in the roof. A smile grew on her face as the sun shone brightly on her pale cheeks. The heat giving her face faint red splotches around her cheekbones and forehead. She basked in the heat for a while. Not ever remembering what it felt like to be warm, alone. 

Mila snapped out of her trance when she realized she still needed to get out of this building, before the people that took her find her again. She took off in a silent jog towards the staircase. Creeping down the stairs, she could hear voices coming from the bottom of the stairs. She was glad she was wearing her black training suit, it was easier to move in then a baggy t-shirt.

"This is stupid, what are we doing here anyway" a growly voice spoke up. Mila froze, trying to figure out a plan of attack. 

"The bosses orders" a second voice sounded. It was a woman.

"Well I think it's stupid, why can't we just kill her now, get it over with" a third voice spoke. Mila couldn't distinguish any more voices so she was set on there being only three people to get by. 

The broken chair leg still in hand, Mila tried for the element of surprise. A piece of glass on the floor ruined that. The crunch of the glass under her feet alerted the three people of her presence. The first man started emptying a magazine at Mila, she tucked and rolled behind an old metal desk. The woman began to run towards Mila, she heard her coming and threw the wooden chair leg at the woman, impaling her in the shoulder. The two men were closing in on her. She counted the bullets and waited for the right moment. When one of the men stopped shooting she knew it was now or never.

Mila jumped up from her hiding place and ran towards the man. She jumped onto his leg and swung her legs around his neck, pulling herself toward the ground, knocking the man down. She lifted her left leg off of his chest and back heeled him in the jaw, knocking him out cold. The second man began shooting at her. Mila grabbed the man's gun from off the ground and rolled away. She kicked herself up off the ground and shot at the man. He went down with two bullets in his chest.

When she knew all three were down for good, Mila took their weapons and attached them to her utility belt. Now having two guns and three knives she felt safer. One gun in her hands, raised, Mila walked towards the exit.

Outside the building Mila was still in awe of the world. It was just as beautiful as her papa had said it was. She remembered another thing her papa told her about the world. Although the world itself is beautiful Mila, doesn't mean the people are too. Trust no one and you will survive dragă" Sweetheart

Mila knew she needed to blend into the city. Viktor told her that. When she goes undercover she is to blend into her surroundings. Her black unitard was too distracting in the city. From her spot outside the abandoned building Mila could make out a few small buildings. She made her way across the street, hiding behind dumpsters and cars. 

As she hid behind a green dumpster, Mila heard footsteps creeping up behind her. She didn't want to attract too much attention so she put the gun in her thigh holster and pulled out a knife. The footsteps got louder. Mila turned around swiftly just as a hand was being placed on her shoulder. She kicked her foot in front of her, tripping her attacker. She jumped onto the fallen body, straddling them with a knife pointed at their throat.

"Wow calm down I'm here to help you" a young blonde girl panted, out of breath from having the wind knocked out of her. 

"How am I supposed to know you're not lying?" she hissed.

"Because Mila, I know how to get you home".

Mila dropped her stance, her grip on the knife loosened. "How do you know my name?" she demanded.

"Because I'm just like you, a Black Widow" the girl flipped Mila off of her. She reached a hand out to Mila. "I'm Yelena"

Thank you so much for 100 reads it means so much! I'm really excited for this story and I hope you are too. I know we don't know a whole lot about the MCU Yelena but I really wanted to introduce her in my story. As always please comment your thoughts I would love to read them. Thanks for reading!

-Emma