A Welcome Surprise

Sirius POV

"Jeez Pads, could you be any less subtle?", the sound of James' voice brought me back to reality. "Huh?" I stuttered, unaware I had completely zoned out. "Come on, it's obvious you're staring at Moony" (he wasn't wrong). "I don't know what you're talking about," I said, turning to face the table in order to hide the fact I was blushing, hard.

"He's got a point you know" came the muffled voice of Peter, before he dug into his third helping of bacon.
"What are we gossiping about" Lily beamed, before sitting down next to James and wrapping her arm around him. "Just Sirius' massive crush on Remus", James smirked annoyingly at me, as he spoke to lily.
"Ugh, will you just shut up" I said, trying to sound frustrated. Doing my best not to laugh, I shoved James into Lily's side and the three of them started giggling. Before I knew it, we were all in fits of laughter.

Despite how much fun it was joking around, the conversation made me really nervous... I did in fact have a huge crush on Remus; to the point where he basically consumed my every thought. However, I had no idea how he would react, so I just kept that little detail to myself. Regardless of how many times I told myself that it's nothing and it will pass, I still got butterflies when he smiled. I still got weak at the knees when the fire perfectly illuminated his features, and I still wanted to pull him close and kiss him until my heart was content. 'Forget it Sirius, that'll never happen.'

Remus POV

Trying to relax before the upcoming full moon, I opened my favourite book and began to read, the fire creating a homely atmosphere. Not long after I had become enveloped in the pages, I heard the familiar pad of paws against the wooden floor. looking up, I saw Padfoot staring up at me. I wasn't sure why Sirius was in his dog form currently, but he seemed sad so I gestured to the sofa next to me. He jumped up and lay down, and then he nestled into my side and fell asleep. I stroked his fur soothingly and I couldn't help but smile as the sound of his snores filled the room.

A feeling of warmth surrounded me, but I was also rather panicked. I'd had a crush on Sirius since third year and him lying on me like this made my heart want to jump out of my chest. I was sure he noticed how fast it was beating and it made me embarrassed, I hoped it didn't wake him up either. More and more, I had found myself stumbling and getting my words caught up around Sirius. He would always just chuckle and go on with whatever he was doing, but oh how that smile made me want to melt. I noticed James wink at me from across the room, but I just rolled my eyes and looked away.

Sirius POV

Mocking Remus' reluctant attitude, I dragged him by the hand through the castle. "Oh come on, you know we have to". "Yeah, yeah". I gave him a look and we both started laughing, I turned my face away before he could see the scarlet blush spreading over my cheeks.

We arrived at the secluded alcove James had found last year. Peter and James were already there, so the two of us settled down opposite them, perhaps a little closer than most friends would? 'No Sirius you're just reading into it!'

"Look" James began, "We all know Remus' 'condition'..." it was clear James was uncomfortable as he said the word 'condition', he didn't want Remus to feel like there was something wrong with him. Before he could continue his sentence, he was interrupted...

"Well what do we have here, the perfect Remus Lupin has a... what was it you called it?... a condition"

In unison, we all turned around and found ourselves face to face with a certain greasy-haired, hook-nosed slytherin.

"Go on then, what's your dirty little secret?" he was sneering as he spoke, almost as if he thought he had finally won.

I was very ready to punch Snape square in the face, but Remus spoke up; "Alright Snivellous, if you want to know i'll tell you." Snape's smile faltered at the mention of his nickname, but a triumphant look was still plastered on his face.

My breathing suddenly got very shallow, and I went into full on panic mode. Was Remus really gonna tell Snape just like that?! I mean it had taken months of convincing Remus to trust us for him to finally open up and this was Snivellous we were talking about! I'm sure Snape would tell the whole school without a second thought, and Remus' life would be over! I was spiraling. I knew I was, but I had a valid reason. Was Remus really about to risk everything for the sake of being petty? No, he wouldn't do that. He's smarter than that! I noticed Remus was smiling, but I didn't know whether that should calm me down, or make me panic more! I trust him not to do anything totally and utterly foolish, but what was he about to say? Had he lost his mind?!

"The thing is Snivellous..." Snape's smile was growing each second. What was he going to say?!

"I'm gay as fuck"

He had said it with a completely straight face, yet I'm sure mine was nothing but one of pure shock. Before I had a chance to process the events of the last 30 seconds, Remus had grabbed my collar, and pulled me into a deep kiss! Remus Lupin was kissing me! I melted into the kiss, as I felt nothing but pure ecstasy. It was slow yet passionate and I had never felt such a connection before in my life! When he eventually pulled away, my face was cherry red and I was breathless.

"Ugh, disgusting!" Snivellous spat, before he turned on his heel and stormed off.

"About time!" exclaimed James, looking pleased that we had finally kissed. Peter nodded in agreement.

All this time though, my attention had been directed at Remus, as he giggled nervously. I was just as conflicted, shifting uncomfortably, as I tried to make sense of what just happened. I wanted so desperately for the kiss to be Remus' way of saying he liked me but there was a nagging voice in the back of my head saying he only did it to get rid of Snape.

I was scared. The idea of me and Remus had seemed so unlikely, just an untouchable dream, but now... I had no idea how to act, I wanted to pull Remus in again and confess all of my deepest feelings. 'But what if that's not what he meant?' I was overwhelmed. I needed some air.

Remus POV

The kiss with Sirius had been everything I wanted, I had never felt so much love and joy course through my veins. But something was wrong after, Sirius seemed confused and uneasy. 'Oh fuck' I thought, 'he doesn't feel the same way and i've scared him off!'. Sirius left quickly, he had said something about an essay for Minnie but I knew it was a lie. A deep sadness started to grow inside of me, even if I'd wanted more we had still had a great friendship and now I'd probably lost that. I slipped away from James and Peter, "oh uh, i've got to go." I at least had to clear the air with Sirius.

After not much searching, I found him under a tree by the black lake. He was looking out onto the water and pulling on a rubber band like he always did when he was nervous. "Hey" I stammered out still unsure of how to approach this conversation.

"That was just to scare off Snape, right?"

I pulled my sleeves over my hands and bit my lip to stop myself from crying. "Why, did you want it to be?"

He turned to face me, his eyes were kind and it relaxed me slightly, but I still felt incredibly worried. "Why in hell would I want that?"

"What?" he laughed slightly as I started to blush.

"Remus Lupin, I have been in love with you for years and you just did the one thing I have been hoping for, you kissed me! Give me one good reason why I wouldn't want that!"

"Because you're a Black and I'm just a freak." I looked at the ground as a few tears escaped my eyes. He walked towards me, closing the gap between us.

"How could you think that! You are the most handsome and kind and intelligent man I have ever met! I am so deeply in love with you, and I understand that you might have just wanted to get rid of Snape, but if there's even the tiniest chance you might like me back then..."

As he continued to speak my smile grew wider and wider until finally I couldn't hold back anymore and I pushed my lips against his. It was magical, he wrapped his arms around my waist and I tangled my hands in his hair, moving closer. The kiss felt like both an eternity and a second - every element of the moment was utterly perfect. We moved in sync, as sparks danced on our lips. Both love, and exhilaration passed through me, as I felt his touch. When at last we broke apart, I rested my forehead on his and grinned. I thought that first kiss was great, but this... this was bliss.