The Prank tm

His head was pounding as the hospital wing slowly came into focus. Remus could hear hushed whispering, but as soon as he began to stir, it stopped. Every joint in his body was in agony, as was normal after the full moon, but today it was different. His torso was covered in deep cuts, ones he knew would scar. Remus was no stranger to scars, but he'd barely gotten any since the marauders became animagi. Why had last night been worse?

Foggy memories of last night came back to him, but the only clear thing was... blood. Lots of blood. His friends were nowhere to be seen, normally they'd be at his bed as soon as he woke up. Just as his thoughts fell to his friends, the voices started again, clearer but further away, towards the door.

"Mr Lupin will not want to see you right now." Madam Pomfrey's stern voice echoed around the room

"But he'll want company," James' voice pleaded.

"No buts head to your dormitory". Why wouldn't he want to see James? Why was James not allowed in? What had he missed?! Madam Pomfrey bustled over to him, laden down with potions.

"Oh good, you're up, quite a bad one last night eh?"

"Ughhh" Remus tried to speak but all that came out was a groan, he couldn't even sit up.

"Come on, rest... and drink this" she handed him one of many potions, this one being a sickly green.

"Why was last night so bad?" Remus managed to croak out.

Madam Pomfrey immediately averted her gaze, and tapped her leg anxiously, before her eyes fell back to the injured boy in front of her. "I think it's best if McGonagall answered that one." McGonagall?! Oh no... what had he done?!

"Did... did I...?" those few words were almost impossible to say as dread filled him.

"No dear of course not." Madam's expression softened momentarily, before a serious look crossed her face. Relief washed over Remus, he hadn't hurt anyone, though he still didn't have any answers. "But..." There was always a but... Why was there a but?!

"Unfortunately... well, let me just show you." Tentatively, she held a mirror up to Remus. His reflection shone back, same as normal, except... he now had two giant scars stretching across his face. One was faded and from many years ago, but the other was red, raw and as prominent as ever. Gingerly, Remus lifted a finger to the scar, but flinched away when he touched it,  pain immediately shooting through his body.

"Oh careful now... sleep and we'll see how you are when you wake up." Madam's voice was strong and Remus was in no fit state to object.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When he was finally discharged, Remus' body still ached all over. Remus was excited to see his friends; he had dearly missed them over the lonely few days. However, just as he was about to head for a lazy Saturday in his dorm, McGonagall whisked him off to her office.

"Mr Lupin," Remus nodded in response and McGonagall continued, "the last full moon was unfortunately... very eventful". Remus nodded again, unable to think of anything to say, and the professor realised it would probably be best if she monologued.

"Mr Black decided it would be funny to tell Mr Snape how to get past the whomping willow. Mr Snape followed the passage that night and saw you when you were transformed. Mr Potter managed to stop Snape entering the shack, so no harm was done to either party, but humans being near must have agitated you," (Remus knew the real reason was that the marauders had not been able to join him in the shack), "because, as you know, you have rather more injuries that usual. Mr Snape has been stopped from telling anyone and Mr Black has been thoroughly reprimanded but..."