James' Confusion

James POV
I swear McGonagall can really drone on when she wants to, I thought I might as well have died of boredom right then and there! Not to mention, we had two essays due at the end of the weekend. I could barely hold all the books! (I'd dropped them at least three times on my way down the corridor.)

Hold on... I stopped dead in my tracks. What was going on here? To my left I could see Remus and Lily sitting on the ledge overlooking the lake. Normally I wouldn't bat an eyelid, but that was known as the spot couples went to. Now I thought about it, the two had been spending an awful lot of time together over the past week... I kept walking, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was going on between them. I'm sure Remus wouldn't betray me like that he knew I'd liked Lily since, well forever. Still, something was off.

"Hey Prongs" Sirius caught up to me carrying an equally large number of books.

"Oh, hey" I replied, tearing my eyes away from them. I noticed Sirius was also casting occasional glances at Lily and Remus, did he know something I didn't? Or was he equally confused as I was?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Freedom washed over me, as the wind rushed through my hair. I could see the snitch ahead of me, and the slytherin seeker was nowhere near. This was my chance. All I had to do was reach ahead... I stretched my hand out straining to catch up, while pushing my broom as fast as it could go.

"Aha, got it!" I shouted as my hand closed around the fluttering object. Cheers and claps erupted from the crowd, filling my ears with the sweet sound of victory. The cup was ours! I knew there would be a massive party tonight to celebrate, I was excited already!

The party was wild! Frank had snuck loads of snacks in from the kitchen and Sirius, as usual, had provided enough alcohol to get an elephant wasted. Unsurprisingly, Sirius was dancing on the table and knocking almost everything over. Marlene and Alice tried desperately to get him down. Peter was standing in the corner nervously, but where had Remus got to?

After a few moments, I spotted him. I was glad that he wasn't reading during the party, but sitting at a table with... wait was that Lily! Jeez James you need to stop being so jealous! They can both be friends with whoever they want! (emphasis on friends!)

What were they doing anyway? Hold on, Lily was giggling and Remus was... Blushing! Were they flirting?! I mean, they sure looked like it, but Remus wouldn't do that, would he?

I wanted to ignore them, but a horrible sinking feeling ran through me. I had always thought Lily and I had a chance, even if she did call me a toerag at least once a day. But, why shouldn't she like Remus, he was smart, loved books like her, and from what I could tell; they got on really well. The more I thought about it, the more depressed I got; I needed some firewhiskey, immediately!

"Hey, Pads," I said, only slightly drunk.

"Uh huh, what's up?" Sirius responded (after he had finished downing enough alcohol to kill someone!)

"You don't think, Re and Lily could ever have a thing, do you?"

"What makes you say that?" His usual easygoing smile had been wiped off his face and he seemed genuinely worried. Wait did he like Lily too?! No, now you're just being paranoid...

"I don't know, but I think I saw them flirting earlier"

"I'm sure it's nothing." the finality in his voice made it clear the conversation was over. He turned away and started drinking twice as fast as normal. Talking about Sirius, that was really something! One of the things I had just said had stressed him out, but what?