Surprise Reunion

Nira was looking up at the ceiling. She was looking at her handiwork. She had painted the ceiling the deepest blue, mimicking a midnight sky. She dotted it with many little gold stars. More stars, she decided. 

Her grandfather left her the Magic Shop when he passed away. After school, she would be dropped off at the cafe, and she grew up behind the counter listening to her grandfather's many stories of places he had been and the many hats he had worn in life. 

"So you see, Nira." he would say lovingly. "You can be whoever you want to be."

One of her favorite memories was the day her grandfather took her to the ballet. For the first time in her life, she saw beautiful, dainty dancers dancing gracefully to the swelling of music. She was mesmerized. For weeks, she twirled around the cafe. Her grandfather applauded even while he was serving people who came into the shop. Sometimes, the customers did too and she had the whole room as her audience. He put up a jar on the counter. Tips for her dance lesson. When the jar filled up,  he took her down the road for lessons.

Nira grew into her dancing shoes. She loved to dance. She gets lost in the music.

She was hardworking and was willing to practice through the night if her school didn't have to lock up for the evening. She had her dream ahead of her and everyone thought she was on her way to making a name for herself. 

Just then, she heard the sound of chimes and she turned in surprise to see who entered the door. 

"Chimes!" the visitor said pointing to the new chimes she hung on the doorknob.

"Jake!" she called to him. She felt elated. She had not seen him in weeks, and for days now started to wonder when he would return. There were hardly any visitors to the cafe so his company was always welcome. It was comfortable and time flew  when he was around. She was just telling herself that she enjoyed his company very much, but then he decided to make fun.

"Were you surprised because you hadn't heard it in a while?" he joked playfully.

"I'll have you know!" she said laughing and slightly embarrassed. "There was quite a number of people who came in today. In fact, there was a line earlier! I had to work fast!"

"I see, I see," he bowed and acquiesced. He was starting to take his backpack off and placed it on a nearby chair. 

The door opened, all too suddenly, a second time which caught them both by surprise. The new visitor was wearing a baseball cap under his sweater's black hood. He and Jeongguk looked at each other for a moment. "What are you doing here, hyung?" Jeongguk asked.

"To... get coffee." the other man replied. Just then the man noticed Nira and peered at her. He was about her height, unlike Jeongguk who was almost a head taller than her. "Can I help you?" Nira asked, slightly feeling awkward with the way she was being studied.

His eyes widened when he realized he was being rude. The person asked, "I'm sorry. Your eyes look very familiar. Did you by any chance go to the Busan Arts High School?"

"Well, yes, I did... for a short while."

It took a moment but Nira realized who it was. "Sunbaenim!" she said clasping his hand with both of hers and they squealed excitedly in recognition. "Oh, Jimin oppa!"

"Nira! Where did you go??"

Jeongguk's mouth dropped in surprise, looking from one to the other.  Jimin oppa!?