Plan Failure

"I can't wait to see you." Jeongguk typed on his phone. Big Hit was hosting a closed-door party and the members were free to invite friends and Jimin invited his former classmates from Busan. Nira and Jeongguk agreed to meet at the party and have a public introduction there. "Are you on your way?" he asked. 

The boys we excited to unwind a bit and just mingle with fellow idols and other celebrities. These parties happened too far in between and were hosted by the labels so that the artists could meet friends outside their groups. Sometimes, they invite relatives and friends outside the industry. For certain, if there was anything that would make ships sink or rise above the waves, these parties would be where it can all be confirmed. Unfortunately, these parties were very exclusive and definitely kept secret from the public.

He paced the lobby looking at his watch. Jimin too was waiting with him to welcome his friends. Jeongguk had his back turned when Jimin nudged him all of a sudden. Turning to Jimin, he saw his face in awe. Following his gaze, he made a full turn and saw Nira come in through the front door with the rest of the Busan Arts alumni. 

She had her hair cascading to one side of her face. The ends of her locks were curled and they sat effortlessly on her smooth, bare shoulder. Her makeup was light and natural, but somehow that made her glow compared to everyone else milling around in the lobby. Nira was stunning in a black sheath column off-the-shoulder asymmetrical chiffon dress that went down to her knees. The ruffled skirt parted slightly in the middle just a few inches above her knees. Her shapely legs were toned and further elongated by the slim black heels she wore on her feet. She stood out, but not plainly among the well-dressed celebrities around her. She drew attention then with everyone wondering who she was.

Jeongguk had already thought Nira was beautiful in her loose sweaters, t-shirts and denim skirts. Occasionally, she wore a dress too, but never had he seen her dress up this way. 

Jeongguk drank in the vision walking towards him. Muffled, he was conscious that Jimin made introductions but he was transfixed on Nira. The spell was broken when Jimin slapped him on the back. "Jeongguk, these are my friends," he said with a big smile at them.

Jeongguk snapped out of his trance and bowed to everyone including Nira. 

"Shall we go inside?" Jimin asked, leading the way into the party hall. Nira walked another step towards Jeongguk. 

"Let's go home," he said, loud enough only for her to hear. "You look beautiful." She laughed and looked to see if anyone was looking before shaking her head. They walked inside as newly acquainted friends. Nira looked him up and down too. She always thought Jeongguk was handsome, but he looked really sharp in a suit. He winked at her playfully knowing she was admiring him too. Nira rolled her eyes making Jeongguk laugh coyly.

Inside the rest of the members approached them and said hello. Jeongguk regretted agreeing to play the part of newly-met strangers that evening. He let Jimin bring them in to settle at a table reserved for their group. 

Jeongguk made himself scarce, greeting other friends that came. He stole glances at her across the room and intended to make his way to their table eventually. Occasionally, their eyes would meet but they were both careful not to show too much familiarity. 

He looked around to see where everyone else was. The Bangtan boys were spread out among their different circles. Jimin held court at their alumni table and sat beside Nira, laughing with her about something. 

"Who's that girl with Jimin?" a voice behind him asked.  It was Yugyeom from GOT7. "She's pretty."

"Yaah. That's Nira." Jeongguk said punching his friend playfully on the shoulder. 

Yugyeom's eyes widened and whispered to his ear. "You lucky bastard." he said. Jeongguk smiled. "Why is she with Jimin though?"

"They went to school together." 

Yugyeom nodded then. "Everyone's wondering who she is. Have you looked at the chat?" he asked referring to the '97 Liners chat they both belonged to that was composed of all their mutual idol friends born in 1997.

Jeongguk felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Yoongi who pulled him aside. Jeongguk said goodbye to his best friend.

"What are you doing?" Yoongi seemed annoyed with him. 

"What do you mean?" Jeongguk asked innocently. 

"Your girl is with another man."

This made Jeongguk quickly look, but there was no other person other than Jimin with Nira. "It's just Jimin hyung."

"No." Yoongi said under his breath. He was visibly disappointed that he had to explain himself. "Regardless if it's Jiminah. Jiminah is still another man. Stop circling. I've been watching you all night." He was right of course. Jeongguk does still feel uncomfortable despite Jimin's assurance that he had no intentions towards Nira, but he reminded himself to be above it.

"Don't be a fool. Look at your girl." Yoongi looked dead serious. Just then, Nira was looking around searching for him in the crowd. "That girl is looking for her man who should be sitting beside her, not hiding in the crowd. If he's not there, who is she going to find?"

There was a crowd in front blocking Nira from Jeongguk's view and when it parted, he saw that someone in a white suit just approached and sat beside Nira. Surrounding them were Taehyung's friends and the man introducing himself to Nira was none other than Park Bo-gum, the Nation's Boyfriend, of all people. 

Yoongi and Jeongguk looked at each other. "Case in point," he told Jeongguk then Yoongi practically shoved him towards Nira's direction. 

Jeongguk didn't think he was that far from Nira but then he felt he was taking forever closing the distance between them. The closer he got, the more he felt bothered. His jaw tightened as Park Bo-gum's notoriously heart-melting smile flashed at Nira. Of course, it wouldn't be surprising if Nira was charmed. Bo-gum would have done so effortlessly. Jeongguk definitely did not like the idea of that.

Within hearing distance, he heard Bo-um ask if she was there with anyone. Jeongguk's tongue rolled inside his mouth.

"She's with me." Jeongguk and Jimin said in unison surprising each other. Startled, Nira looked at them both. So did Bo-gum and everyone else within earshot.

Jimin collected himself and said, "She's the band's guest."

More importantly, she's mine. Jeongguk thought possessively. He didn't stop to consider when he said, "She's my girlfriend."

Bo-gum stood up then, backing off respectfully. "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know." he said bowing to both of them. He reached his hand out to greet Jeongguk and bowed apologetically at Nira again. 

"Jeongguk..." Nira said in surprise.

Jeongguk then took her hand in his and said, "Let's get out of here."

They both excused themselves and Nira allowed Jeongguk to lead the way. He couldn't stop himself from being impulsive around Nira, but Jeongguk felt proud to be holding Nira's hands for his world to see. The plan was a disaster. He did badly, but his perimeter fence was up victoriously.

The other new feeling he was trying to suppress is the discomfort in his chest that everyone now knew Nira when he still would rather just keep her to himself.

Everyone watched as Jeongguk walked out with Nira. People backed away, seeing that Jeongguk's usual innocent demeanor was replaced by a very serious expression that no one would be willing to mess with. 

On the other side of the room, the details of what happened at Jimin's table traveled across the crowd and reached the BTS' rap line.  They watched Jeongguk walk the parting crowd with Nira as they headed for the exit. 

"Aww... JK!!!!" Hobi grinned, completely entertained. "Our baby is really all grown up!"

RM laughed and was hopped in place excitedly. "Yo... I don't think we can call him baby anymore! The boy has man up!" he said.

"Aah!! I am so, so proud." Jin said wiping a fake tear.

Yoongi nodded approvingly, he quietly slow clapped the scene. Looking back at the circle they left, the maknae line standing with their friends still had their jaws on the floor.

In his mind, Yoongi complimented himself for being the underrated genius he truly is. He turned to the members to collect payment for a standing bet they made at the start of the evening. "You can all just transfer the money when you pay up." He said, "I don't carry cash."

They all pretended to ignore him and this made Yoongi flash his gummy smile.

"I taught him everything, you know?" Jin called out. As expected, this caused a debate among the hyungs.

Meanwhile, beside Yoongi, Sejin frantically made a call to check if everyone's confidentiality contracts for the party were all updated and complete.