Part 1 Pale Blue

"okay class today we're getting a new student so when he gets here please make him feel welcome." My teacher announces. We hear whispers of 'ooh I hope he's cute.' across the classroom.

"He's going to be a total nerd. Twenty bucks right now." My friend Bri whispers to me.

"Nah jock we've got too many nerds here already." I whisper back.

"You're on Daphne." She smirks. Just then the door opens. Our principal walks in she's blocking the view of the new student. The girls in the class are moving to try and see around her.

"This is Austin night please make him feel welcome." God every teacher gives the same speech. As the principal turns to leave we are able to see him. Bri and I were both wrong. He's a lanky boy wearing black skinny jeans and a cut off muscle shirt with a band on it. His hair is dyed a pale blue pretty cool.

"Hi Austin welcome to English, you can have a seat in the back there." She points to the open table in front of Bri and I. He nods not a hint of emotion on his face. He slides into the chair in front of Bri.

"No money wasted today." I whisper to Bri. She laughs and Austin's head turns every so slightly in our direction. I nudge her and she stops laughing. He turns back, damn he must've thought we were laughing at him. The teacher drones on about a project due next week but I'm studying the new student.

He has rings on several of his fingers. His nose points up ever so slightly, I was studying his lips when I saw them pull up in the corners. I glanced up at his eyes and saw them glance at me. I lean back in my chair, shit he saw me. His eyes are a pale bluish gray kind of like his hair.

My teacher comes around with a paper for us to work on. We have to answer questions about a book we were supposed to read outside of class. She pauses at Austin's table. "Have you read this book?" It's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

"Yes I have. I can do the paper." He smiles at her. My teacher nods and leaves the paper at his table. His voice was smooth deeper than I had expected.

I unwrap a piece of gum and pop it into my mouth. I stand up to throw away the wrapper. As I passed by him I looked at his name which was scribbled at the top of the paper. It's spelled Awsten Knight wow I had it all wrong. I throw away the wrapper and return to my seat. He glances up at me as I walk by and smirks. I notice his other eye is greenish hazel instead of blue. That's amazing, I realized I was staring so I look away.  Maybe he finds comfort in the fact that he's not the only person in the room with dyed hair. My hair is dyed a dark red that obviously isn't my natural color.

The bell rang so Bri and I packed our stuff and walked out of the building. We don't have a seventh period because we're seniors and didn't sign up for any electives. I start up my Jeep and throw my stuff in the back. I notice a nice red car parked next to mine. I don't know what it is my dad would be able to tell me but as I was admiring it I saw someone approaching it. Awsten was swinging car keys around his finger, his backpack slung over one shoulder. I smirk of course it's his. New kid with the nicest car in the lot.

"Nice ride." I tell him when he puts the key in the door.

"Thanks." He smiles and jumps in. He revs the engine and peels out of the parking lot. I'm still leaning against the Jeep when I hear Bri behind me.

"Was that the new guy?" She asks.

"Sure was." I tell her.

"He's kinda cute." She laughs. I turn to her and get in the car.

"If you say so." He's probably some stuck up rich kid. That'd explain the fancy rings and car he just left in.