Part 14 Extended Break

"you want to take a break?" I ask him.

"Sure, whatcha got in mind?" He asks.

"Dunno probably food and we can watch something on my TV." I offer.

"Sounds good to me." He shrugs.

We wander into my kitchen and get some chips and a couple of drinks. We crash on the couch and turn on the TV. I turn on a horror movie. "Oh come on these are never scary." Awsten complains.

"Give it a chance will ya?" I say.

"Sure." He drapes his arm over the back of the couch and I lean into him. A few minutes into the movie there's a jump scare and Awsten jumps. I laugh at him and the chips that are now spilled all over our laps.

"They're never scary huh?" I tease.

"Oh hush and help me clean this." We scoop up the spilled chips and put them back into the mostly empty bowl. I take it over to the counter to clean later. I sit back on the couch and he moves his arm from the back of the couch to rest on my shoulder. He kisses the top of my head and we continue watching the movie. We both jumped whenever there was a jump scare. We would just laugh at each other.

Near the end of the movie my mom walks out. I'm snuggled into Awsten's chest on the brink of sleep. "just checking on you guys." She says.

"I'm Awsten since I haven't been introduced prior." I feel him hold out his hand and she shakes it.

"It's nice to finally meet you. About what I said a month ago as far as I know she's still single."

He laughs, "actually she isn't."

I snap my eyes open and sit up. "Daphne why didn't you tell me?" She asks.

"Never came up." I shrug. "But we started dating about a month ago."

"Oh well that's nice, hope I get to see more of you." She says.

"Me too." Awsten smiles at her and she goes back to her room. "You didn't tell your mom?"

"Honestly it never came up, I'm not too keen on sharing things with her." I say looking away from him.

"Daphne it's fine I'm not mad." He tilts up my chin and kisses me. "Just wanted to understand." I can still see the doubt in his eyes but I kiss him and nod.

The next few months go by too fast. School is all about projects and studying for finals. Graduation is in a couple of weeks. I am no where near ready. "Did you get your hours in?" Bri asks me as we walk to sixth.

"Almost, I only need two more hours at the nursing home and my volunteering chart should be filled."

"I'm already done with mine." She shrugs and opens the door to sixth. I immediately look to Awsten's table and I stop in my tracks when I see who's sitting on it. "is that-?" Bri leaves the question open.

"Stephanie Grubb." I sigh. Stephanie has been the most popular girl in our school since before popularity was a thing. She's the classic blonde long hair and pretty blue eyes. She's sitting on top of the table laughing at something Awsten said. He's smiling too. I feel jealousy pool in my chest. She knows we're together Awsten and I don't mind being public at all so she should get her stuck up nose out of our business and away from my boyfriend.

Whoa Daphne, I'm taken aback by my own thinking. I've never been this protective over a guy before. Maybe it's just because not only do I have to worry about all his fans now this. I sigh and sit in my seat without a glance at Awsten. The bell rings and Stephanie says bye to Awsten. I see him glance in my direction. I look away and he turns back to the front. I know I shouldn't be so curt but I just hate that shes talking to him just because he's famous.

At the end of class I tell Bri bye. She's been getting a ride with Geoff. Awsten  walks out to our cars with me hand in hand. When we reach our cars he turns to me, "Daphne what's wrong?" His eyebrows are knitted together in concern.

"Why was Stephanie talking to you?" I blurt out.

"I dunno, she just walked up to my table and started talking. If you're worried about her, trust me she's not my type." He grins and looks me up and down. He takes a step closer to me and tilts up my chin so I look at him. "don't be mad."

"Okay." Is all I can manage. I'm never able to think straight when he's touching me. "We going to hang out tonight?"

"Not tonight sorry I've really got to focus with the guys." He tells me.

"Oh okay, that's fine." I nod and get in my Jeep. He pulls out of the parking lot before me giving a wave.

It continued like that up until graduation. I'd try to make plans and he'd tell me he was busy with the band. I hardly ever saw him. I was excited for graduation because I knew for a fact he'd be there. After everyone's names were called families rushed to meet their grad. Bri found me first and we hugged. We took pictures with our families and Awsten found me and spun me around in a hug. ''We have to go get dinner.'' He insisted. 

''Absolutely.'' I nod and our families meet up at some fancy Italian restaurant. I'm thankful for my dress that I wore underneath my gown. We laughed and talked out our college plans with our families. Awsten was going to persue his music career. I've decided to go to college for a few years. I'm still exploring my options. We had an amazing time laughing and talking. When our hands weren't full he had his fingers locked around mine. 

That was the last night I spent with my Awsten. What do I mean by that you may be wondering, well I'll tell you. Summer started and I planned on spending all of it with him before I had to leave. Let's just say things didn't go as planned. I invited him everywhere I went any excuse I could make to see him. He'd tell me with a sad smile that he had practice or a meeting with a manager. His whole life became his music. I stopped inviting him and talking to him all together. I remember the night of my birthday I tore my Waterparks poster off the wall. I collapsed in a heap crying at the sight of his ripped face. I had torn it to shreds. We hadn't spoken in almost a month and a half and all I get for my birthday is a text. I'm sure my mom heard my angry cries but she never dared interrupt me. 

I was setting my bags by the door to leave for college when I decided to call him. He answered on the fourth ring. ''Hey Daphne.'' 

''I'm leaving.'' Is all I can say. His voice makes my heart melt but I can't let him break me now. I've made up my mind, ''Will you come tell me bye?'' 

''Daphne you know I want to but I'm leaving for an interview in an hour.'' he sighs and I can't stop the tears that trickle down my cheeks. It's not like he'll see me anyways. 

''Awsten,'' I pause and let out a shaky breath. ''I can't do this anymore.''

''W-what do you mean?'' he stutters. 

''You know what I mean, I'm leaving and you have your music to worry about. Just let me go please.'' I pratically beg him. 

''Okay.'' is all he says. I hang up the phone. I don't bother to make it to the couch I collapse on the floor. I can't breathe and the tears are falling faster now. 

''Oh honey.'' My mom sits on the floor next to me and pulls me into her chest. I can feel her shirt growing wet beneath my face but I don't care right now. 

''Can we just go?'' I ask trying to steady my voice. 

''Sure.'' She picks up a couple of my bags and I follow her out of the door with the rest.