✮ FORTY FOUR ✮

Mila's pov

There was a hundred better places Mila could think about spending her Friday night, none of which involved where she actually was; On her hands and knees, rubber gloves bunched up at her elbows as she scrubbed the skirting boards of the coffee shop she worked at.

Mila couldn't understand why the owners were so intent on being open until 7 pm on a Friday like anybody was gagging for a coffee before their night out. It was stupid really, leaving their workers to clean vigorously just for something to do.

It wasn't too bad though, her coworker James, who usually shared her Friday shift was a barrel of laughs, leaving her in stitches and unable to move.

But, unfortunately, James was sick, leaving his shift open to be covered by another coworker: Hannah.

Now Hannah didn't mean to be unlikeable, in fact, Mila very much believed that Hannah meant well at heart. But she just annoyed something deep in Milas blood that she couldn't explain.

It wasn't how she talked too much, that didn't bother Mila it actually helped the time pass quicker, it was more her tone of voice.

High pitched and squeaky as she spoke a mile a minute about unimportant things, rambling on and on for hours with a voice that drilled into Milas skull like a jackhammer.

"So I said to him, he either cleans up his act and gets me a ring by Christmas or we're over" she rambled on, telling an uninterested Mila about the ultimatum she had set out for her boyfriend.

"Haven't you guys been dating like three months?" Mila commented squeezing out the sponge from the soapy bucket before dropping it back in, leaning back on her feet.

"Well yeah," she sighed, leaning on her hip, "but I've always dreamed of a Christmas proposal so he either has to propose in the next week or move on because I'm not waiting till next year"

"Well...you're going to have to wait anyways" Mila furrowed her eyebrows, looking back at the girl who also looked confused, "if you break up with him you're just going to have to find another lad, and then you're back in the same situation"

In all honestly, Mila couldn't care less about Hannahs boy problems, she was just weighing in to pass the time.

Ten minutes left.

Nobody was expected to come in, so they could just pack up now and go, leave early and deal with the consequences later. But Hannah just so happened to be the bosses daughter, leaving them in a sticky situation.

"He will propose, I just know it" she settled with, turning back to the coffee machine, wiping it down one more time before taking the cups onto the shelves.

Mila hummed in response, picking up the bucket and taking it to the kitchen, pouring out the soapy water whilst pulling off the pink gloves, laying them over the tap before walking back out, leaning on the bar.

She stared out of the tinted windows, the sky was already dark outside from the winter months influence.

Time had flown by since she had met Harry in August, now Christmas was right around the corner and she two couldn't be happier. They'd spend time together pretty much every day, he'd pick her up after her lessons and take her back to his place, then walk her to the tube station or pay for her Uber back home, despite how much she'd protest.

Five minutes left.

Tonight was no different from the past four months, she had walked to work after her last lesson at 1 pm and Harry would be picking her up after work. Ready to walk her back to his place, order a takeaway and watch a documentary, much like their nights had been like most times they were together.

Mila wasn't complaining, any time spent with Harry was nice, whether they were drunk and living their best lives or sat at home with a cup of tea sharing light kissed and smiles.

As usual, Harry was waiting outside the door, looking down at his phone as Hannah and Mila left the shop in tandem, waving goodbye as Hannahs boyfriend, possibly soon to be fiancé, picked her up.

"You ready?" Harry sighed, pushing his phone into his pocket as their hands slipped together, a smile pulled on his face.

Mila nodded, throwing her bag around her shoulder, her apron pushed inside messily as well as her over night clothes.

"Yep," she smiled up at him, studying his face as he looked back to her.

"Well, I have a surprise, so be ready for a night out" he held down an excited smile as he dragged her in the opposite direction of his house.

"Out?" She pouted, "Harry I'm not ready for a night out" she looked down at her black work jeans and black top, her coat over top.

"You're fine, I brought you this so you wouldn't get cold" he held up his other hand, which was holding one of his hoodies, she somehow hadn't seen till then.

The smile on her face was hard to hide. It was small things like this that warmed Milas heart most, not huge gestures.

"Thank you" she mumbled, wrapping her other hand around his forearm as she leaned into his body, "so where are we going?"

"It's a surprise" he smiled down at her, staring into her eyes before quickly looking forward, pulling her out of the way of a group of girls starting their night out.

"Lucky me"

—————
Written: 17th February 2021
Published: 20th February 2021
Lil time skip
This is a double update! Next chapter should be up now :)