Chapter 5

It's around midnight and I'm down the stairs finding some food to eat. My feet pat along the tiles as I make my way to the kitchen, hugging myself to keep warm.

I've spent the whole night watching movies and trying to get to sleep but those stupid nightmares wouldn't allow it.

Ever since that one Friday night when I was younger, I've rarely had a night without nightmares making me wake up in a cold sweat. My dad ordered Happy to take me to  multiple therapists yet nothing worked.

Over the years they've only gotten worse, it seems the older I get, the more vivid they become.

I pull some strawberries and whip cream from the fridge. I sit down on one of the breakfast bar stools and begin eating.

I'm playing a game of subway surfers when I hear someone else come down the stairs. I freeze. I don't want to have to explain to my dad why I'm down here. I had told him a while back that the nightmares stopped and he believed me. It made him worry less.

However, the person now making themselves clear in the harsh kitchen light isn't my dad, it's Peter.

He's wearing some lounge pants clinging by his hips and a plain black tshirt. He shields his eyes from the light looking sleepy. It's almost cute.

"What are you doing up on a school night?", he asks with a groggy voice, getting a glass from one of the cabinets. "Could ask you the same thing". He shrugs.

"You'd be surprised how much work I have to catch up on", he turns on the tap and fills his glass with water. He turns round, leaning against the counter, taking a sip.

"I had homework too", I look down avoiding eye contact, for some reason it's so difficult to lie to Peter.

He takes another sip of his water but his eyes never leave me as he searches for a true answer. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, fine", I bite on the bottom of my lip to stop my eyes tearing up, "I'm going to go back up to finish my homework, goodnight Peter".

I stand up but keep my head down. Just as I'm about to walk out, a hand wraps round my wrist. I look up into Peters eyes and he looks back with concern.

He hesitantly pulls me closer until my head is pressed firmly against his chest. I breath in the soft smell of his cologne and ease into his arms that he has wrapped around me. I feel safe. 

"W- what's this for?", as much as I don't mind this as much as I though it would've, I still feel the need to address it.

"My aunt May always told me that not everything can be solved with a hug but it's always worth a try".

I close my eyes and smile. I'm not used to Peter being like this towards me. Part of me wants to shove him off and shout at him for touching me but I can't give myself a reason to do that just yet.

After a few more moments he pulls away and looks at me, I sort of wish he didn't pull away, it was oddly comforting.

"Are you ok?", he asks more suggestively this time. His eyes roam mine as I think of an answer. I debate wether I tell him or not. I mentally list the pros and cons of telling the truth.

"Yeah just lots of school work", I laugh covering that fact that I'm still lying to his face.

He looks at me, still not convinced but he accepts the fact that I'm not going to tell him, not yet anyway.

"I'm always here if you need a chat or anything", Peter says catching both of us a little off guard. He smiles quickly, "Goodnight y/n"

"Goodnight Peter"

I walk out of the kitchen and back into my room. As I lay awake, I go over Peter and I's interaction multiple times as I fall into a deep sleep. 
——————
"Wake up sleepyhead"

My body jerks up into a sitting position. Steve stands a few feet away from me, a laugh about to fall from his lips.

"Steve, what was that for?", I say rubbing my eyes as they adjust to the light shining through my curtains.

"Oh, you've slept in and you have to leave in 10 minutes".

My eyes widen and I'm I stay snapped out of my sleepy state, definitely now wide awake. I just from my bed and Steve chuckles and I usher him out of my room, slamming the door shut behind him.

I quickly get changed into the first clothes I find lying about my floor, I pleat my hair in one single messy braid before brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash.

After collecting my school bag and books, I run out of my room having no time to grab any breakfast so I continue straight for the front door.

Peter is already sitting in the back seat when I get in.

"Morning y/n", Happy says turning on the engine abruptly and pulling out of the avengers HQ.

I can hear Peter muffled laugh as I struggle with my seatbelt. I eventually get it working and buckle myself in, taking my first breather of the morning.

"Sorry I'm late Happy, I slept in", I give him a sorry look in the rear view mirror.

"Slept in? I could never have guessed", Peter laughs. I roll my eyes, instantly missing the peter from last night, he was so gentle and caring. Now he's just back to be his normal annoying self.

We both thank Happy, stepping out of the car at the checkpoint and both making our way to Peters car. When he gets into the driver seat and I get into the passenger seat, he doesn't put the key in the ignition.

"Why aren't we going, we're supposed to go as soon as we get here, someone could've been following us".

"Were you ok last night?", he asks completely ignoring you question. "Peter, I've already told you, I'm fine", he still doesn't look convinced.

"I know your lying, you're terrible at hiding it"

"Well I'm not lying", I cross my arms and look away from him trying to hide my guilty face.

"Y/n, you can tell m-"

"Peter, I'm fine, stop asking", I snap causing him to move back a little. His soft expression hardens and he puts the key in the ignition, starting the engine. "Fine"

~~~~
And that's another chapter posted, I might post again tonight but if I don't I'll post tomorrow as usual. Thank you for reading :))