Chapter 8

Rose's Tuesday goes almost exactly like her Monday, but after dinner she has training with Farah on how to fight a Burned One. Rose walks to her office and sees her assisstant there. She greets him and walks in. Farah looks up from her paperwork and smiles at Rose.

"So, what do I need to know about a Burned One?" Rose asks.

"They are extremely fast and if they manage to wound you, their venom will infect you until you succumb to it or kill the Burned one to cure your infection," Farah says.

"That kind of sounds like a werewolf," Rose remarks.

"Ah yes, you do have experience with werewolves, don't you?"

"Well Teddy's dad was a werewolf, so yeah, I'd say I do."

Farah just smiles at her. She looks back up at Rose.

"You will need to know everything you can about the Burned Ones before I let you do a simulation," Farah says.

"You have a simulation for this?"

"Of course. We like to know how to fight and kill one before we encounter it in battle."

Rose nods her head, thinking back to her third year with Remus and the boggart. If this simulation is like the boggart, then Rose knows she isn't in danger, this will help her.

Farah hands Rose a book and Rose moves to the couch in Farah's office and hunkers down, absorbing as much knowledge on the Burned Ones as possible.

- - -

The following month of school was much the same as the first day. Rose started to learn more about her powers and the Burned Ones in her private lessons. She's also become a better fighter, being able to work in both her magic and fire when fighting. But she hasn't actually fought a simulation of a Burned One yet.

Now it is Saturday and Rose finally gets a break. A break from all her learning and she can just take the day for herself.

Rose lays in her bed and can feel the warmth of Saul cuddling her. Rose turns and tucks her head underneath his chin snuggling up to him. She doesn't want to disturb this moment of peace they only get on the weekends, but even then those are short because of the two boys that like to disturb them.

Rose savors this moment and can feel Saul's arm tighten around her, but then she hears the door open and two sets of feet creeping in. She subtly shifts so she can see the blue and blond hair of the boys. Rose can see them getting ready to jump and when they do, Rose shoots the levitating charm at both of them.

Teddy's face scrunches up in annoyance, knowing that Rose has vested him once again, but Sky is twirling his body around and laughing at the feeling of floating in the air.

"Behave," Rose says before she lowers them onto the bed and snuggles into Saul.

"Yes, mama," Teddy says as he and Sky try to worm their way in between Rose and Saul.

Saul's eyes finally open at the intrusion and looks at the boys. His eyebrow raises and the boys shrink back. Saul just sighs before he gives Rose a sleepy kiss and she knows their peacefulness is up. They release each other and make room for the boys.

Teddy cuddles up to Rose instantly and Sky tries to as well, but Teddy is taking up too much room. Rose can see Sky's pout and laughs before she shifts Teddy to her chest and Sky snuggles up to her side. She looks over and sees Saul with a grin on his face. He moves himself closer and wraps his arms around all three of them.

Rose smiles at him as they fall back asleep.

- - -

It takes a couple more months with Farah's training before she feels Rose is ready to take down a simulation of a Burned One. Rose has been ready for this for about a month. Her fighting has improved with the classes and so has her fire. She already had a good grip on her magic before school started, but now that grip is on par with her magic. And she also made a friend, one of the only girls in her fighting class.