Chapter 20

School starts with little fanfare, though when Rose shows up in the senior classes, no one is surprised because they've seen what she can do with her fire. Though Madeline is sad that they don't have any classes together.

"I'm going to miss having you in my classes," she admits.

"Maddie, you are welcome to come and hang out with me and the kids after school. You know this," Rose says.

"And I'm going to have to do the physical training all by myself since you're pregnant!"

"Maddie, it's not that serious. I'm still here and will be here even after I graduate. I'm in the senior classes because I'm advanced."

"I guess you're right. I'm just being dramatic."

"Everyone is prone to their dramatic bouts."

Madeline just laughs her off and they part ways with a hug. Madeline goes to her first class with Farah and Rose heads to herbology. Ben is already in the classroom and Terra is sitting next to him. Rose is the first one in and when she enters, Terra's head pops up and she immediately finds Rose.

"Aunty Rosie!" Terra squeals as she gets out of her seat and runs to Rose.

"Morning Lilac, not causing trouble, are we?"

"No! That's the boys!"

Rose just chuckles a little and helps Terra into the seat next to her. Terra scoots closer to Rose and she just smiles at the girl. Rose pulls out her textbook for this class and reads over it, already knowing that this is going to be harder than if she was in her second year, but she likes the challenge.

Terra looks over at the book and Rose angles it so Terra can see the pictures that are in the book. Terra gives her a smile and leans her head on Rose's arm. Rose just smiles down at her before she moves her arm and wraps her arm around Terra and lets her lean against her.

The rest of the students start to pile in and they look at Rose in confusion, but then move to their seats and ignore her for the class. Rose just continues reading the book.

Ben walks to the front of the class and Rose sets her book down and is about to move when she is reminded of Terra leaning against her. She gently moves Terra so she is leaning on the table in front of them and Rose doesn't think she is going to fall.

Ben starts the class with an exasperated look at his daughter, but continues on anyway. Rose muffles her chuckles and listens to the lesson that is much more difficult than last year. Rose knows she is going to like this though because it is testing her more than she was tested last year.

"Since this is the senior class, you all will be tasked to create a plant of some difficulty and sustain its life for a week. You may think over what plant you want and discuss it with me when you have chosen your plant," Ben says from the front of the class.

Rose thinks in deep concentration and goes over all the plants that she knows. She decides on a magical plant, knowing that she is the only person that knows of magical plants. She gets out of her seat and walks to the front of the class where Ben still is.

"Have you chosen your plant?" Ben asks.

"Yes, I'll be going with a fanged geranium," Rose says.

"And what is that?"

"Exactly what it sounds like. It's a geranium with teeth because it bites if it isn't properly cared for."

"And that is the plant you are going with?"

"Yes."

Ben has a bit of fear in his eyes as he looks at the calm look that Rose has on her face. Everyday she continues to awe him and fear him.