vii.

Eleanor 

I woke up to the sound of soft knocks on my door, with a groan I got up and swung the door open. Alvin stood with an awkward look on his face, and a tray of steaming blueberry pancakes. 

"I'm not hungry." I simply stated before shutting my door and going to get dressed for the day. 

It was a Friday thankfully, after the week I've had I couldn't wait for the weekend to begin. 

I decided on a beautiful baby blue dress with lace, today could be the day that Gilbert came back and I wanted to look nice. My hair was pulled back into a delicate braided bun, a few strands of my red hair were falling down and curling against my shoulder. 

As I made my way down the stairs, I could hear Alvin and my mother arguing of something. Though I couldn't care less as I grabbed my school books and basket of lunch before starting to the door. 

"Eleanor wait-" my mother tried but I ignored her and kept walking towards the woods. 

The trips to school have become boring without Gilbert, he usually walked with me when he was here but he hasn't for a while. Alvin has started taking a different route to school so he could walk with one of the older girls in our class, we don't talk as much anymore. 

"Eleanor?" Anne's small voice made me shriek. 

"Anne? Why are you hiding behind that tree?" I asked as I slowly walked over to her. 

I gasped as she stepped out from behind it, all of her hair was gone besides a very short haircut. 

"Oh Anne...your hair-" I started but Anne only wailed in response. 

I quickly ran over and grabbed her shoulders, steading her as she almost collapsed into a crying mess. She pulled her hat down over her head as she sank into my shoulder. 

"Anne what happened?" I asked as we started back for school, it had taken her almost five whole minutes to calm down enough to even breath. 

"I-I tried out the hair dye late last night...and it was horrible! Oh Eleanor it was the worst thing I had ever seen, when I tried to wash it out it only turned my hair green! Marilla was forced to cut it all off! I look like an adolescent boy!" she cried out. 

"Oh Anne...you do not look like an adolescent boy! I think you're short hair quite suits you actually!" I say with a small smile. 

"R-Really?" she sniffled and wipes her nose. 

"Of course Anne, you look like a warrior princess!" I state as I jump onto a tall rock and hold out an invisible sword. 

Anne giggles and we pretend to fight and duel each other with our "swords", but its short lived when we finally make it to school. 

"Oh my lord." Diana gasped, making us both look up at her. 

"What happened to your hair?" Diana screamed as she ran over and touched Anne's short hair. 

Anne went on to explain the story as we all walked into school, it took a lot of convincing but she finally pulled off her hat and hung it up. But as we were walking into the small school room, there was a crowd of people standing in a circle. 

"What are they doing-" but before I could even finish my sentence, the crowd opened and there stood him

He eyed Anne and then moved to me, his cheeks slowly gaining a red tint as we stared at each other. I couldn't help but nervously bite my lip and stare into his beautiful brown eyes, the ones that I had longed to see for so many months.