xviii.

"Woah Eleanor, you're really good!" Ruby cheered as Eleanor spun in circles on her ice skates. 

The girls were there at the frozen lake on a cold winter evening, watching the boys play hockey and skate around. But Eleanor decided to join them and skate, not just sit and gawk at them as they scored points with a makeshift puck. 

"Thank you Ruby, I've had lots of practice." Eleanor grinned as she jumped and landed on a perfect spin. 

The girls cheered as Eleanor bowed slightly, she felt two hands on her hips as she came back up. 

"Hello beautiful, you showing off what talent my lovely lady has?" Gilbert grinned as Eleanor giggled and gently removed his hands from her waist. 

"I was only skating Gilbert, nothing more." Eleanor grinned as she wiped off a bit of snow from his hair. 

"Well why don't you come skate with me? I can't let the other boys watch you prancing around without me by your side." Gilbert smirked. 

"Oh hush then and come along." Eleanor rolled her eyes, but couldn't help but smile as she grabbed Gilbert's hand. 

The two laughed as they spun and danced on the ice, the girls cheered as the boys grumbled that Gilbert had left the game, making it uneven. 

"Oh! I'll be right back Elle, just give me one second." Gilbert beamed as he scurried off the ice and over towards the woods. 

Eleanor watched as two people emerged from the snowy trees, both dressed in red and blue gowns with beautiful  long braids in their hair. 

"Woah...who are they?" Eleanor asked as she skated over to Anne who was just arriving. 

"I don't know, but I want to find out. Wanna come?" Anne asked as she held out her hand. 

Eleanor nodded before skating quickly over to the people and Gilbert, he was handing them a few coins as he spoke little words to the little girl. The taller man that Eleanor assumed was the girls father, handed Gilbert a beautiful hockey stick.

"Thank you! It's amazing." Gilbert beamed as he pretended to give it a swing. 

Eleanor walked up behind him as she grabbed onto his arm for stability, her skates weren't great for normal snow wear. 

"Who's this Gilbert?" Eleanor asked. 

"These are the local Native American's from just beyond the woods. They've made me a hockey stick, isn't it great?" Gilbert grinned as he showed off the stick. 

"Wow...this wood carving is gorgeous. Did you do this yourself?" Eleanor asked the tall man. 

He glanced down confused at his daughter, the girl spoke in a foreign language that Eleanor didn't understand but he did. He turned back towards Eleanor before nodding and speaking in choppy English. 

"I made, tribe carvings." the man nodded. 

"Well it's lovely, is there any way I could order a bow with these carvings?" Eleanor asked as she dug out a few coins from her pocket. 

"Would this be enough?" Eleanor asked. 

The little girl nodded before accepting the money and handing it to her father, who nodded and slipped it into his pocket. 

"Two days." he stated plainly. 

"Great! I'll meet you back here in two days, thank you again." Eleanor smiled before giving the man a nice handshake. 

"Hey! You!" Billy Andrews, the local bully, yelled as he came storming up here. 

The two Native American's glanced up in his direction, glaring at him as he approached with a hostile look to his face.