xv.

"One ticket for a one-way trip to Charlottetown." Eleanor sighed as she dug out a little satchel of coins. 

The coins clinked together as she slammed down the correct amount, the man gave her a raised eyebrow before handing her a small ticket nub. 

"Thanks." she nodded before spinning around to head to the train, only to be stopped and slammed right into two hard bodies infront of her.

"Where do you think you're going?" Alvin asked as he grabbed his sisters arm harshly and dragged her over to a bench.

"Somewhere." Eleanor mumbled and took down her hood. 

"Eleanor...you can't just run away from your problems." Gilbert sighed.

"Oh yeah? Why can't I?" she hissed before jerking her arm away from Alvin's grip.

She shoved past the both of them before making her way to the train, another rough grab on her arm made her scoff and turn around. Only this time, it was Gilbert staring at her.

"Can we talk before you leave at least?" Gilbert asked.

Eleanor glanced over at Alvin, he was glaring at the two of them but nodded. Eleanor sighed but nodded as she allowed Gilbert to gently move her out of the flow of people getting on the train. 

"Are you sure you want to leave? What about your friends? What about...me?" Gilbert asked.

"Gilbert...I don't think I can be happy staying there with him. You seen the way he treats me, why on earth would you want me to stay in a home like that?" Eleanor sighed.

"I-I don't want you to stay there, stay with me. You can come live with me and Bash, his girlfriend is moving in with us soon. Maybe you two can be friends! We can be one big happy family." Gilbert smiled.

Eleanor chewed on her lip as she thought about his proposition, having a girl in the house with her sounded nice. But she couldn't bear the thought of going home, getting her clothes, then moving out. What would her mother think? Her father? It was all so stressful. 

She let out a shaky breath before laying her head on Gilbert's shoulders, soft sobs echoed as she gripped onto the front of his shirt. He quickly took his jacket off and slung it over her as he led her back over to Alvin, he slid the ticket out of her hand and handed it to her brother. 

"I'll get her money back, you take her back to your home. I'll bring her clothes and items early tomorrow." Alvin stated.

Gilbert nodded and started back towards his house, a sobbing Eleanor on his shoulder. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

"That woman is a menace to society! Have you seen the way she dresses?" one elderly lady quarts to her friend beside her. 

"Are you speaking of that Miss Stacey woman?" her friend asked.

Eleanor glanced up from her bag of flour she was carrying, she had rode her horse into town to grab some groceries at the local market. Only to overhear these alderwomen speaking of her teacher with disgust. 

"Oh yes! I simply cannot believe that the council is allowing her to teach those young children. They will be influenced to be exactly like her! The girls will refuse to wear a corset, the men will refuse to work! Oh the horror!" one of the ladies cried out. 

"Well I heard she's widowed,  not a husband or suitor in site for her." the other scoffed. 

Eleanor scoffed, causing the two ladies to glance her way.