xii.

Eleanor woke up the next morning with a pounding headache, and the sound of a hammer pounding nails. 

She groaned and sat up, rubbing her eyes and smoothing her wild hair down. 

"What are you doing?" she yawned as her eyes adjusted to the light, Gilbert was pulling his shirt on as she blushed slightly. 

"Bash and me are building onto the barn, since school was cancelled today." Gilbert stated as he tossed Eleanor her petty coat. 

"Wait what? Why was school cancelled?" she asked as she crawled out of bed and tossed her petty coat beside her.

"Today is Prissy and Mr Phillips wedding, how did you forget that?" Gilbert chuckled as he flopped down beside her and started lacing his boots up. 

"Shit shit shit! I was supposed to help Prissy get ready! What time is it?" she asked as she slung herself out of bed and squeezed on her corset and petty coat.

"Calm down darling, it's only 7!" Gilbert stated as he gently placed his hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her down. 

"Oh thank sweet lord...I don't have to be there till two." she sighed out.

Gilbert chuckled and placed a kiss on her forehead before getting up and following the sound of the banging. Eleanor heard Bash and Gilbert laughing at something as she stretched and glanced at the bathroom attached to Gilbert's room. 

"Gilbert? Do you mind if I go through your closets?" she yelled from the window. 

"Of course not, just make sure-" 

"Not to touch John's stuff I know I know." Eleanor nodded before shutting the window and walking towards the closet.

She pulled the doors open and stared into Gilbert's messy closet, she scoffed and shut the door before walking down the hall to John's room. Her eyes glanced towards the window and seen Gilbert and Bash hard at work nailing something into the wall, she quickly turned back around and opened John's wife closet. 

Mrs Blythe died way before Eleanor came to Avonlea, at the ripe age of eight. Eleanor often heard Gilbert going through her stuff, and he loved to visit her grave and talk to her about things that's going on in his life. 

Her eyes fell upon a beautiful baby pink dress, it had short and puffy sleeves with a long pink lace puffet.

"I'm sure he won't mind." Eleanor thought to herself as she pulled it from the closet and brought it back to Gilbert's room. 

She gently placed it down on the bed before walking to the bathroom and starting the bath water.

(Time Skip: One Hour)

Eleanor walked out of the bathroom with her face freshly steamed and cleaned. She had a towel wrapped tightly around her body with her hair flowing naturally behind her. A tune coming from her throat as she hummed. 

"Eleanor? Where did you find this dress?" Gilbert's voice made Eleanor squeak out in shock. 

"Gilbert! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?" she gasped out as she wrapped the towel tighter around herself, grabbing a blanket from the bed and pulling it infront of her. 

Gilbert's face heated up slightly as he looked down, trying to not look at her figure. 

"Where did you find this dress?" Gilbert asked. 

"I found it in...John's room. I think it was your mothers." Eleanor answered truthfully. 

"Eleanor...I told you not to go in there." Gilbert sighed.