xvii.

"Hurry now, come on." Eleanor whispered as she slowly removed her shoes to keep from making too much noise. 

Gilbert waited patiently as he helped the others climb up the stairs with their potato lights, not yet activated. 

"Eleanor, hurry up." Gilbert muttered as he grabbed her hand and pulled her up the stairs. 

She grumbled but followed as she quietly and quickly climbed the stairs of the large meeting hall. 

Parents and grandparents were sitting in rows of chairs as they watched the conversation of Miss Stacey being tossed around. Most were agreeing that she was unfit to be teaching the "young minds of Avonlea" but Eleanor simply scoffed in response. 

Just then, a large boom was heard as the hall's doors were slammed open. And in walked Miss Stacey. 

"Miss Stacey! We did not call upon your request, you shouldn't be here." Rachel's voice was shrill and Judgy as she glared at the teacher. 

"This meeting just so happens to be about me, so I'm going to stay. Continue." Miss Stacey stated before standing at the back with her arms crossed, a heavy eye glare towards Rachel. 

The two seemed to glare at each other for another minute before one of the members of the council began to speak again. 

"Okay guys, now's our time. They're about to make their final decision." Eleanor whispered. 

"Make sure your potato is in line, and all of the wires are correct." Anne stated.

Everyone quickly checked their potato, Eleanor was handed one from Moody as he prepared one for her earlier. She gave a quick head nod thanks before she took a few deep breaths. 

"We got this, for Miss Stacey." Gilbert smiled. 

"For Miss Stacey." they all repeated. 

"So the council has come to an agreement then? Miss Stacey will no longer be able to teach at the Avonlea school for adolescents-" 

"Excuse me! I don't think we've had a say in this." Anne's voice rang over the hall. 

Parents and council members gasped as they all turned to look up at the balcony above. The students had all jumped up and were holding their potato's high in the air, the lightbulb shining bright. 

"Is that potato creating...electricity?" a lady asked. 

"Why...I think it is!" another yelled. 

The students slowly walked down the stairs and to the front of the hall, covering the council members as they all yelled and opposed the kids.

"This is madness! Get these children out of here!" an older council member yelled. 

"Sit down gramps." Eleanor hissed, the man slowly sat down as he gritted his teeth. 

"You all may be wondering why we're here, well....we're here on Miss Stacey's behalf." Gilbert spoke clearly. 

Eleanor glanced over at him, his brows were furrowed in concentration as he spoke. His hand jolting in the air a few times as he explained how good Miss Stacey is at being a teacher. 

"She belongs here just as much as you and I, so who are we to tell her she cannot stay?" Gilbert's strong voice made Eleanor blink a few times. 

"Yeah!" the other students yelled.

The parents didn't seem convinced as they all eyed the students, the kids looked at each other as they all had run out of things to say. Eleanor took a deep breath before stepping forward and holding her potato up for all to see, her lightbulb shining brightly.