History Repeats Itself

Ruri's POV

"Darkness isn't so bad when you have someone to share it with."

The words of Ren were clear as a bell. A loud bell, one that wouldn't stop ringing. I sat in the darkness again, just like I normally do in these dreams. The floor was covered in water, but didn't dampen my clothing. I laid down, staring into what was absolute nothingness. Just leisuring in oblivion.

When my fingers tapped methodically on the floor, circles of vibrations would move along the water. Still, there was no liquid sticking to me. My brother sat down next to me, laying down as well.

"Do you still want me gone?" he questioned. "Or were you actually speaking to them?" How he hated my team.

"Why do I imagine you like this, Ren?" I asked him. Though I didn't expect him to give me a straightforward answer.

"Are you still on about that?" was his blunt reply.
There was no way for me to wrap my head around all of this. I was torn between wanting to see him and wishing he'd leave.

I thought for a moment, "I want to believe that you are with me."

The boy didn't answer for a few seconds. Instead he grabbed hand. It was the most comfort he had offered since the first time I saw him. I could feel his hand. The hand of my brother. It was more than enough consolation.

"Whether you believe I'm here or not," he uttered, holding my hand tighter. "you need me and I need you. That's the way it's been and will always be. I am always with you, my dear sister."

My body was trembling again. My free hand brushed  my right eye. It was wet. Why? The corner of my lips tilted downwards and a shaky breath ripped away from my lips. How much I had missed my brother. His voice, his smile, his eyes.

"Don't cry, Ruri," Ren cooed. "I'm here now, you don't have to be sad."

*********

Waking up without him was frustrating. What was more frustrating than that, was having no time to be frustrated. I had no idea where I was. The walls were painted green and contained zero windows. I only sat up and allowed the soreness to settle onto my muscles.

What happened? Where even was I? Where are the boys? So many questions accompanied by no answers. That was until the door swung open to reveal the bird and the puppy.

"Beehive, you're awake!" the blonde exclaimed. I stood up only for the idiot to throw himself at me. We both stumbled and had to take a few steps to regain balance.

"Careful, Yoshi," Sora sighed with a hidden smile. "Ruri's still recovering."

The words went over his head as he held on tighter. I hugged him back and said, "I'm fine Yoshi. Stop-,"

"Don't say that if it's not true!" he yelled, tearing away just to grip at my shoulders. I was taken a back, not usually being on the receiving end of Yoshi's temper. Even Sora's eyes were big as saucers. "Just let us help you for once! Don't push us away! Tell us, tell us so you don't have to do it all alone. Next time, please tell us."

My eyes went soft as they blended in with his. I knew I couldn't grant his request. I knew I couldn't drag either of them in to my internalized complications. Besides, what could they do? I wasn't certain about the things Ren had told me. What I did know was true, was that I had so much more to lose. That the first half of my life was structured around war and loss. I had lost so many people and somehow I was still alive. He was right, the Fuyu were experts at destruction. Where ever we went, it followed us.