Just Training

Sora's POV

I took a sharp breath as I fell onto my hands and knees, holding onto my stomach. My fingers clutching tightly to the fabric of my shirt. A few coughs escaped my mouth from the kick I had just received.

Half of my day consisted of missions and training with my team. The other half was left for more training. Rest wasn't a priority.

"Get up, Sora!" I winced at my father's voice. His voice was stern, not a hint of care could ever be found in his voice.

Quitting was never an option. Not in this clan. Breathe, eat, and train was the daily routine. I was lucky to somehow manage to squeeze in even just a few hours of sleep.

I slowly tiltled my head upwards, burning eyes staring up at the man towering above. His arms were firmly folded across his chest as he held a fierce glare in his green eyes. I returned it with an emotionless, yet tired stare.

"Get up." He demanded through gritted teeth.

My shaky body, forced itself up on command. My body always reacting to bis voice instantly. One unstable foot at a time. I positioned my arms in front of me, hoping that I'd be able to block and counter anymore attacks thrown my way.

"Lord Kumo." A voice interrupted the process of my defeat. It was one of the ninja that usually patrol the streets of the compound.

"What is the meaning of thi-." He stopped mid-sentence, his eyes trailing down in slight surprise. My eyes widen as I stared at who it was. Ruri.

What is she even doing here? It's dark out and we're supposed to be resting. Looks like, we're not only liars, but also horrible listeners.

"Ruri of the Sand." He nodded,"What brings you here?" The clan had great respect for the Kazekage, their loyalty to him was unwavering. Meaning, Ruri had our respect. My father was remarkably satisfied knowing we were placed in the same team. This only caused him to become more strict. He wanted me to be able to protect her, to show my worth to Lord Gaara, to be stronger than Ruri.

She bowed, her usual stoic eyes remained unfazed. One thing I noticed about Ruri was outside of our team, she was quiet, emotionless, and vigilant. Not just anyone got to see what she was hiding under her mask. A mask that I wish I could tear off.

"I apologize for the interruption. I was merely hopping to discuss our mission with Sora." She spoke clear and formally, greatly pleasing my father.

"What are you waiting for?" My father directed his harsh voice towards me. "Don't keep the young lady waiting."

"Yes sir." I complied, bowing quickly and heading out with Ruri. I felt a hint of appreciation, knowing she had saved me from my father's extreme sparring match. My body needed to recover just a bit before I faced him again.

Even though it was dark out, we still walked out of the compound gates and into the streets of Suna. Neither of us wanted to near my clan any long. After a few more minutes of silence I finally decided on breaking it, "You followed me."

"That's what it looks like." She shrugged.

"Why?"

"You weren't okay." She answered. Her eyes traveled upwards, watching Tori perch himself at the top of a street light. "Are you hurt?"

"Just a few bruises. Nothing that can't be easily healed." I sighed,"You're not okay either. You have your own problems to worry about, isn't that what you said about Yoshi?"

"My problems are different." Sometimes she could be confusing. However, I could tell that she was being vague on purpose. She wouldn't allow me to see fully passed her guise. Anytime I manage to rip off the mask from her face, there was always another one right underneath.

"How?" I signaled her to go on.

"My problems aren't serious. They can be delayed."

"It's just training, Ruri."

A scoff escaped her lips, causing me to raise a brow at her. "Training is supposed to make you stronger, not wear you out until your heart stops beating."

"A little exhaustion doesn't kill anyone." I retorted.

"That's the problem." She rolled her pale grey eyes at my response. "It's not just 'a little exhaustion'. If you leave a light bulb on for too  long it begins to flicker, than  eventually burns out."

"Well, I'm not a light bulb." I argued. I can hold on longer than she thinks. Even if I were to burned out, I can regain my fire.

"You're right, you're human being." She said in a monotone voice, her eyes meeting mine. "That's worst."

So I'm ending this chapter off here. Don't think after a long time I'm going to leave you guys hanging with this short chapter. I'll  be back with another chapter later today. So sit tight. Thanks for the patience, and sticking with me even when I'm inconsistent. After three months, I'm finally back and on Summer break!

Next chapter will be there first real mission and you'll get to see their real abilities soon.