The Second Exam

A decent amount of teams remained. That included mine, Moeru, Boruto, and Shikadai's. I leaned against a tree as we waited for the proctor of the second exam to arrive at the training grounds.

I stuck my hands into my pockets as I recalled the events within the first exam. My interaction with Aya lingered in my mind. I wanted to know how she did what she did and if I could find some way to fight it. It annoyed me to no ends how easily I succumbed the first time.

"So she poisoned the air around you?" Yoshistatrf, completely dumbfounded by my explantion. I sighed, nodding. "You sure? I mean, she's kind of an airhead..." Or maybe she just acts like it...

"Look who's talking," Sora commented. "Let's just hope she isn't too much of a hassle in the future."

Speaking of hassles...

Again, I found myself staring at the Leaf ninja. Boruto and I traded glances, my eyes narrowing. There was an immature part of me that wished we could have finished our last battle. I wanted to know the outcome, if we hadn't used the last justu that we did. If Gaara and Naruto hadn't stepped inS Putting him in the hospital and vice versa, wasn't my intended outcome.

"Heads up," Yoshi nodded his head towards the center of all the Genin. There stood a man with brown hair and eyes. His face had the same red paint Yoshi did underneath his eyes. We were surprised to see the giant dog next to him.

"Inuzuka?" Sora rose a brow, barely above a whisper.

Yoshi seemed just as dazed as us. He never had been this close to another Inuzuka apart from his own mother and siblings. A mother and siblings he no longer saw, apart from Emik. I wondered how he felt about them now. Just like me, he didn't speak about his family often, or ever for that matter. I believed that same goes for Sora.

"Sure seems like it," I said. It was indeniable. The lucid Inuzuka traits jumped at us from several feet away.

"Hey there, runts!" the man shouted, almost humorously. "I'm Kiba Inuzuka and this is Akamaru. We'll be your proctors for the second exam."

His pride towards his canine companion was identical to Yoshi's. Well, even his attitude match that of our teammate's. Just as Tori is Sora's eyes, Hashiro is Yoshi's heart. His partner is more than just his pet or ninja tool. Hashiro is Yoshi's friend.

"Right now we are surrounded by miles and miles of forest land, this means more and more area to hide," he smirked, flashing his teeth. "This whole sector was designed for just that. You might even find some worn down shelters."

Hide? Looks like we're going to be hiding and scouting for the second exam. Our team shouldn't have a problem when we have a bird and a dog on our side. It's like we were made for this sort of challenge.

"Now, each of your teams will be paired with another," at that everyone's confusion rose. I noticed Shikadai drag a hand down his face, most likely having already caught up. "We'll call this game 'Cats and Mice'. One team will be the cats and the other will be the mice. Mice, you'll be picking one of your own members to depart from you. This member will be chased down by the cats, your job is to retrieve your member before the cats turn them in."

"Turn them in?" Sarada repeated outloud.

"Yep," Kiba nodded. "There should be a tower located in the outer area of the land. That is where you'll bring your kidnapped enemy or your retreated teammate. The unlucky mouse will have a ten minute head start. We're not only testing your scouting skills, but your survival skills. You have three days exact to achieve this goal. After the Mouse is ahead, the cats will be released. Finally, it will be down to the last two mice. Whoever comes out empty-handed, loses. Now, let's see which team will be which."

Spoiler alert: we're the mice and paired with Leaf Ninja.

I gazed at my teammates who gazed back at me. My eyes met Sora and in unison we both uttered, "Ruri's the unlucky mouse."

He sweatdropped while I shook my head. It isn't the first time we've came to that conclusion. I was smaller and faster. It only ever made sense for me to be the volunteered subject.

"Why is it always Beehive?" Yoshi groaned, throwing an arm around me. "I can do it, if you want me
to."

"No, that'd be a waste," I declined. "Hashiro's nose needs to pair up with Tori's sight. Plus, I'm used to running and have stamina to last me days."

"If you says so," Yoshi forced a smile. "Just be careful out there."

I nodded, still noting the worry in his eyes. I wish he didn't worry so much. If there were only a way to make him feel more assured. Unless there is...

Suddenly I smiled at him. Both of them were bewildered by expression. It was a rare sight to see me smile when there were so many competitors near.

"Huh?" Yoshi mumbled before my hand laid at the crown of his head. Though I was shorter, my affectionate attempt did not fail. He couldn't help, but to smile back at me. In that moment we shared an understanding. I'd be careful and safe. He'd be on his way to help me soon enough. We placed a lot of trust in such a small exchange.

Few pieces of blonde hair lifted as my hand retracted back to my side. My smile went down with it.

"Don't get caught, Ru," Sora mused, in awe by the friendship of Yoshia and I.

"Don't lose me," I advised back, turning around to walk to the line of other mice.

"Alright, on the count of three, the you'll be free to run into the forest," Kiba announced. "One... two...."

I looked back once more at my teammates, before peering into the forest. My two bestfriends. They'd never let anyone harm me.

"Three!"

********

My legs ran as fast as they could, trying to reach a far distance. I remember being in the same position a long time ago. That's right, this is how I met Kankuro and Temari. I vividly recall Kankuro calling me a brat and Temari holding onto me. If only I had know the life those two dragged me into.

When I was satisfied with my distance, I stopped underneath a tree. It was smarter to not go too far, my team still had to be able to find me. Hopefully this wouldn't last the whole three days and I could be reunited  with them once more. I didn't want to spend so much time alone. I'd miss them
too much.

'Why do you care so much?'

My breath hitched in my throat as the voice rang through space. I looked around me trying to find the source to it.

'Why do you care, Ruri?!'

"Where are you?!" I yelled out. Just like that, my feet moved and I went deeper into a forest I had no familiarity with.

Hello, I'm sorry I have put this book off so long. But I'll try more to update it. Anyways I hope you're still interested and thanks for reading!