Act One: Chapter 6

Welcome back - sorry for the late update, my computer was playing up

OMG WE'RE GETTING SEASON 2!!!!!🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

I just want to thank you all so much, I've received some lovely comments and a load of votes, so thank you!!😘😘😘

Hope you enjoy😁

Screaming.
It had been nonstop ever since she arrived back at the school five days ago.
Both in her head, and in the physical world.

Mor huffed as she stared up at the ceiling, flinching as yet another shriek echoed through the night air.

It was Beatrix, there was no doubt, and although part of Mor dreaded to think what Dowling was doing to the girl down in the cell in the East Wing, she also knew that it most probably all an act.
Even though Bloom had informed her about Aster Dell and how the faculty 'mercilessly decimated the town and its innocent people', Mor had the feeling that there was more to the story than just that.
She hoped so, at least.

Mor exhaled through her nose as she shifted on the bed, mind flashing back to when Dowling, Silva, Harvey and her brother had stopped the car.

Once the situation was under control, Beatrix was secured and Bloom had calmed down, Mor had travelled back to the school with Rowan in the faculty's car, where her brother had explained how Beatrix killed Callum whilst breaking into the Headmistress's office. Silva had asked her questions about the trip - where they went, what they talked about, what they did, who they saw - but Mor was too tired, too exhausted to answer and swiftly fell asleep on Rowan's shoulder.

Every night since, Mor's sleep had been plagued with vivid recollections of the vision she saw when in the centre of Aster Dell.
The pregnant woman, shrieking and screeching, tied to the large stone altar. The golden goblets filled to the brim with crimson blood, and she didn't want to think about where it all came from. The hooded figures all standing in a circle, hand in hand as they chanted some ancient language.

And every morning since, Mor would wake before the sun was up, panting and sweating as the woman's screams rang in her ears.
Once, she'd woken up to her suitemates shaking her because she'd been the one screaming.

As a result for her lack of sleep, people would've expected Mor to be falling behind in class, when in fact the reality was quite the opposite. The determination she felt to keep her mind off of her flashbacks caused her to work harder than ever in her lessons, and with every day, Mor progressed with flying colours. Her control had improved massively, as well as her accuracy - even Dowling had said she was surprised at how well Mor was getting on.

But everyone knew there was something not quite right with the Earth Fairy now.
Ever since Aster Dell, Mor had been quieter, harsher.
She didn't mean to be, but the lack of sleep caught up to her in other ways and left her cranky. So, to avoid hurting people close to her, to prevent the risk of saying something she'd regret, she had begun to distance herself.
But whenever her suitemates tried to bring it up, they'd just get shot straight back down again.

Sighing, Mor rolled over onto her side and tugged her duvet over her head in an attempt to block out Beatrix's screams, screwing her eyes shut and willing herself to sleep.

*****

Heart thundering in her chest and fingertips tingling, Mor snapped her head either way, eyes wide and searching for any flicker of movement. Her senses were sharp as she tilted her head to the side, listening and looking.

As Mor inhaled deeply, she summoned her magic and twisted her foot on the grass, readying her power to travel down into the ground so she could feel any vibrations of movement. As she exhaled, she willed her magic through her body and down into the grass, but groaned internally when the earth resisted.
She'd been trying to master the trick for days now, after Dowling had gotten her to try it in one of their private lessons. What she had to do was basically amplify the noises of the surroundings by stretching her magic out through the nature around her. She could do it easily if she was touching a tree with her hand, but using her feet was a lot trickier - the ground was a lot more stubborn that the forest.