Chapter 44

Bag Lady

One day all them bags gon' get in your way

Tapping my foot against the floor, my eyes scanned the bland room

Tapping my foot against the floor, my eyes scanned the bland room. Gray walls, check. White furniture, check. Pompous grass and succulents, check. Psychology books about the black mind, check.

Yup, I was definitely in a psychiatrist's office.

The white door soon opened up and a black woman in her mid fifties appeared

The white door soon opened up and a black woman in her mid fifties appeared. Today, she wore the most peculiar Ankara print slip satin skirt, a plain white tee with a denim jacket over it, and a pair of white converse on her feet.

The brightness, not only from her clothing and eccentric style, but from her aura as well brought some color into the humdrum space.

"How are we doing today Laya?" Dr. Adebiyi asked with a smile.

I flashed one of my own and responded as I normally would, "I'm doing well, thank you for asking Dr. Fefe."

I've been seeing Dr. Ifueko Fefe Adebiyi every Tuesday for about a month. Our first two sessions were rather difficult to get through, but she believes that I've been making great progress.

She wrote something down in the black leather bound notebook, "That'd been your response for every visit." A toothy grin spread across her face, before she fixed her skirt and crossed one leg over the other.

"It's the truth...I do feel that way." I countered. "I literally have no complaints about anything."

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself, Allaya?" She paused for a while. "Did you get a chance to practice what we talked about during our last session, with Dave?"

She was referring to the homework that she assigned me. Ever since I became her patient, we've been working on my communication skills. The assignment was to use some of the communication tactics I learned to explain my feelings during an argument and then use them to comprehend my partner's feelings as well.

"Yes I did." I admitted.

"Tell me about it."

"Well...last week Dave and I got into a small argument about the bills. Now that we share a space, I wanted to take some of the financial responsibilitity from him. But he didn't see it that way."