Chapter 27

Try A Little Tenderness

Love is their whole happiness

The rain thumped loudly on the floor to ceiling windows and the thunder and lightning played a game of tag as a storm took over the city

I laid there in the large, empty, cold bed, hugging Dave's pillow tightly. I buried my face into it deeply inhaling its scent and smiled.

I miss my baby.

He hadn't even been gone for a day and I missed him already. I dropped him to the airport this morning for his meeting in Syracuse after he made me breakfast. Then I went out with Kairi and Maya for a bit. He told me that it was a spontaneous trip and he'd be back tomorrow night, he just had to handle some business.

I never thought that I'd be this clingy, or that I'd crave his presence this much. For someone who was so used to being alone, I now hated when he wasn't with me.

Dave knew almost everything about me. He listened to my wild stories, entertained my dumb shenanigans and tried to understand my feelings before I could. It would be unfair to say that he was best friend, because in the short amount of time that I knew him, it was almost like he became another part of me - a better extension of me.

Like this morning...

Flashback

I woke up sore and hungover from all of last night's festivities and surprisingly, I remembered everything. Drinking with the girls, Millie and her goons, car head, good sex and sleep.

What a way to live.

I rolled out of bed and after doing my skincare routine and brushing my teeth, I moped in the kitchen in search of a hangover combo - excedrin and Fruit Loops.

But when I got there, Dave was already making breakfast. I snuck behind him, into the pantry to grab my cereal. He always complained about me eating "that sugary shit". But I couldn't care less because eating it with almond milk made it healthier...at least that's what I think.

Picking the red box off the shelf, I immediately noticed that it was no longer in its usual hiding spot and that it was empty.

"Freaky did it!", Dave yelled behind me causing me to jump. I glared at him.

"How could you let him eat my cereal David?", I whined. I was looking forward to eating this all morning.

Dave laughed at me, then wrapped his arms around my waist to leave small kisses on my neck.

"I warned him, but he still ate it then complained about yo almond milk."

"He drank my stuff too?!" He laughed into my neck. I knew that he just wanted to see me angry for his own comedic benefit.