Chapter 50

Only with Time

I don't want to spend another day without
you baby

I don't want to spend another day without you baby

I was always described as a good girl. Never got into trouble at school, I was always mannerly, and respectful.

My specialty in the face of blatant disrespect has always been to turn the other cheek or to use my words to hurt.

It was what my mommy had taught me.

"Be the bigger person."

"They're not worth it."

"Take the high road."

She'd always tell me those things because she would be there to protect me.

But now, she was gone and her voice was locked behind a soundproof door located in the back of my head and I couldn't hear her.

I'm sorry mommy but no, not this time.

Turning the other cheek was definitely out of the question and it was clear that my words were not sufficient. Because the last thing I remembered was watching Zora's eyes widen as a result of the unexpected pressure that I applied to her neck.

My ears were dead to all of the noise and shouting in the background.

I barely heard any of it.

I barely felt any of it.

I barely saw any of it.

That's probably why I didn't see when Zora took a swing at me. I managed to duck at the last minute, so her hand only managed to swipe the side of my chin.

Everything went downhill from there and fast too.

Her leg swung toward me so my hand dropped from her neck to block it. Before I knew it we were tussling on the floor.

I guess I was wrong.

Zora did have a tad bit of black girl in her after all.

Soon someone's arm hooked around my waist and grasped me tightly.

It was over, as soon as it started.

Giving up, I relaxed for a few seconds and let her go.

I proved my point. The damage was done.

And most importantly, the realization hit me. All of my senses started to flood back to their appropriate positions.

Adrenaline bled out.

The anger began to dissipate.

Regret wandered in.

Zora flailed dramatically on the floor gasping loudly as her friends and security surrounded her.

"Call the medic!" One of them shouted.

"Stupid bitch! She tried to kill me!" She called with a raspy voice from the floor.