Chapter 15

Never Felt This Way

All I need is you in my life

Future's Hard to Choose played throughout the car

It filled the ominous awkward silence between us. I didn't even know how to start an apology. I don't think he would listen to me anyway.

My insecurities, trust issues and pride were getting in the way of my present life. From my past experiences, every single time someone did something for me it came at a cost and I want to go through life without owing anyone anything.

Dave doesn't understand that I need to do things for myself. I'm not use to other people taking care of me, I have to be independent because at the end of the day I can only trust the person who has stuck around the longest - me. I have to show my father that I could live perfectly fine without him and more importantly I had to prove to myself that I was just as strong as my mother.

And to be completely honest, I felt like I was failing.

I fought the onset of tears that threatened to fall from my eyes. You don't cry Allaya, don't let him see you cry.

I quickly wiped away a fallen stray one and covered my sniffle as a cough.

"Bad bitches don't cry. Remember?", my inner self repeated.

I laid my head back onto the headrest and closed my eyes to prevent anymore from falling. If I could get home, behind my room door then, I could cry all I wanted to in a hot shower. Eventually, the thoughts in my mind drifted away and my sleepless nights caught up to me as I fell asleep.

I didn't even know how long we were driving for, but the car soon came to a complete stop and Dave spoke up for the first time since we left the spa.

"You can either stay here or come inside. Imma be in there for a few." he said before slamming his door and coming to my side to open mine.

He wore another unreadable expression and looked just as intimidating as when we first met. I could tell that he was still angry with me.

He didn't even give me a chance to answer. I wiped the tiredness from my stinging eyes and eased my way out of the car.

Almost immediately I folded my arms around my torso for some sort of comfort and scanned the area we were in.

It was a suburban neighborhood in upstate New York - filled with large houses, green grass and cars. It was a stark difference from the concrete city I was used to.