Chapter 17

<Zuko>

When Azula, Iroh and I got on the plane, I never looked back once. Azula held my hand the entire flight.

I kept glancing to my right to look at her. She was completely silent. The bandages on her left shoulder were a crisp white. That color was all too familiar.

Looking at the bandages reminded me of a horrible event. One that, I'm sure, is more recently very familiar to my sister.

Looking up from her shoulder, I saw the expression on her face. To someone who didn't know her well, she looked calm and composed. To me, however, I knew Azula too well. I knew that expression. It was one that I often wore myself.

It's the expression that you wear when you're trying to look brave, when really, you're trembling inside.

I squeezed her hand. We'd be landing soon.

***

<Sokka>

He said they were landing at Terminal B, right? I thought to myself. It was around 8am, and I was waiting at the airport to greet my jet lagged boyfriend and his sister.

I looked around, and that's when I saw them.

"Zuko!" I yelled, running up to them.

"Sokka, what're you-" I cut him off with a kiss.

"I'm coming to greet you!" I said cheerfully.

Zuko laughed. "That's really sweet of you, Sokka, but I'm exhausted right now and we need to get Azula home."

"Oh right!" I turned to his sister. "Hi there, I'm Sokka!" I thrust out my hand in an attempt at a handshake.

She reluctantly shook it. "Azula," she introduced herself. Her eyes were amber, like Zuko's. Although, instead of being warm, like a campfire, they had this intense heat to them. Like standing too close to a house fire. If you looked closely, there were even little flecks of blue in her eyes, like an intense flame. Her hair was black and pulled up into a high ponytail that was tied with a Fire Nation emblem. Although she was short, she was pretty intimidating. Especially with those piercing eyes of hers. "Do I... know you from somewhere?"

"Yeah, actually!" I said. "We met at that one wrestling meet awhile back. You tried to flirt with me?"

"Why would I flirt with an idiot like you?" Azula questioned.

"I dunno," I admitted. "Maybe ask that pink friend of yours. She seemed to be egging you on."

"Ty Lee?" Azula asked. "She's not... I, uhm..."

"It's very kind of you to greet us, Sokka," Iroh interjected, "but we're all very tired from the long flight so I think it's time for us to head home. Isn't that right, you two?"

"M- me?" Azula asked.

"Yeah, 'Zula, he's talking to you, too." Zuko smiled at his sister.

"Oh, uh, yes! I'm feeling a bit tired!" Azula agreed.

Zuko turned to me. "I'll see you tomorrow, water boy." With that, he gave me a peck on the lips and walked away.

***

<Zuko>

School.

Azula didn't have to go for... obvious reasons. Uncle said that he'd get her applied after she got settled in.

I was still a little shaken up from having to go to the Fire Nation the day before, but I figured school would get my mind off it, so I went.

When I arrived at the bus stop, I was immediately brought into a hug by Sokka. Then he grabbed my shoulders and touched our noses together.

"Hey, fire boy!" He said, his hands still on my shoulders.

"H- hey," I gave a tiny wave. "Uh... what was that?"

"What?" Sokka asked.

"When you... touched our noses together?" I asked, pointing to my nose.

"Oh!" Sokka took his hands off my shoulders. "It was just something my mom used to do, haha! She called them 'polar bear kisses.' Was it too weird?"

"N- not at all!" I stuttered, getting a little flustered. "It was cute, actually."

"Ah, cool!" Sokka smiled, but then his face got serious. "How are you doing? How's your sister?"

"I'm doing okay," I replied. "Just a little shaken up, is all." I gave him a quick smile, but then looked down. "I don't know about Azula, though. Iroh just showed her to her room yesterday and I haven't seen her since."

Sokka hummed and nodded.

"Hey, Zuko! Sokka!" Bolin called. "The bus is leaving!"

"You still gonna do figure skating?" Katara asked me when I sat down at our lunch table.

"Yeah," I replied. "Piandao came all the way over here, it'd be rude of me if I turned him away now."

"You know, if you're not comfortable doing it you could always just shoe him off." Toph said, food still in her mouth. She swallowed. "Don't be such a pussy."

I scoffed. "You just don't understand grace, do you, Toph?"

"Some sciency dude or whatever probably said that you can only understand what you see." Toph retorted. "And I'm blind." She waved a hand in front of her face.

I rolled my eyes.

"Well, if you did turn him away, I'd always love to be your coach!" Sokka said, putting an arm around my shoulder

"Sokka, you can't skate for shit." Katara snapped.

"Yeah? Well, you can't- you- hmph!" Sokka sighed and crossed his arms in defeat.

The table erupted in laughter.

"I thought you learned your lesson about trying to pass up women, Sokka." Suki teased. "Should I kick your ass in fencing again?"

"Hey, you've been teaching me a lot, Suki! I might be able to take you in a fight now!" Sokka retorted.

"Oh yeah? Wanna find out?" Suki asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Uhm..." Sokka gulped. "I might have to pass you up on that offer, thanks!"

"I'd certainly love to learn how to figure skate!" Aang piped up. "Think you could teach me a few things, Zuko?"

"Yeah, I could try." I replied. "My technique usually has a lot of traditional Fire Nation moves, though."

"Oh, cool!" Aang grinned. "I haven't been able to learn much about the Fire Nation since they're so closed off! I'd love to learn some stuff about your culture!"

"Well I'd be happy to teach you!" I smiled. "Hey, why don't we all go to the tea shop after school? I can tell you some stuff about the Fire Nation there!"

"Sounds good to me!" Sokka said. "But what about your sister?"

"Sister?" Aang asked.

"Ah, right." I bit the inside of my cheek. "I think it'll be ok."

"If you're sure," Sokka shrugged.

"What sister!?" Aang exclaimed.

_______________________________

yo! been awhile haha!

how are y'all? i'm vibin! it's getting warm here finally so i'm getting to go outside!

aight that's all! thanks for reading! -Em