Chapter 4

<Sokka>

"Spirits, Katara, it's just a date!" I complained.

Katara was rifling through my closet, trying to find an outfit for my date this afternoon.

"Sokka, this is not 'just a date'," She took a shirt out of the closet, looked at it, and decided it wasn't good enough, so she threw it on my floor. "It's your first date in the Earth Kingdom, and also your first date with your new partner! You have to look nice! I mean, it'd be a lot easier for me to find an outfit for your date if you'd actually tell me who your date is!"

"For the last time, Katara! It's none of your business!" I exclaimed. "Just like it's none of my business as to why you have the hots for that Aang guy!"

"I DO NOT-" Katara sighed and walked over to me. "Look, Sokka, I just wanna know who this person is so I can tell if they'll treat you well. I just want my big brother to be safe."

I smiled down at her. "I know, Katara. I promise, I'll tell you eventually. I'm just not ready right now."

"Okay, I'm fine with that. Just promise to tell me before your wedding, alright?" Katara laughed and punched my arm.

I laughed, too. "Okay, will do."

"Okay, what's this person's personality?" Katara asked, turning back toward my closet.

"Uh..." What did I know about Zuko's personality? I mean, he probably doesn't like fire... but that's not exactly a personality trait. Hmm... "I don't know." I admitted.

Katara groaned. "Favorite color?"

"Uh... black?" Sokka, you're an idiot! That's all he ever wears! You're guessing his favorite color off of the color he wears the most!? Seriously!?

Katara turned towards me. "Do you know anything about this person?"

Shit, she got me. "Uh, well... I know their name... and gender. And what color their eyes are." I started to imagine Zuko's eyes, warm, glowing, twin pools of gold. Spirits his eyes are gorgeous. "Oh, their eyes..."

Katara snapped at me. "Sokka, focus. I need your help, here."

"R- right!" I walked up next to Katara. "What about that shirt?" I pointed to a pale blue button-up.

Katara glared at me as if I was crazy. "Sokka, that is the ugliest effing shirt you own."

"... Did you just say 'effing'?"

"Yes, Sokka, I did. Now put this on!" She tossed me a dark blue t-shirt, ripped skinny jeans, and a blue and white flannel. I walked into the bathroom to change into the outfit she'd given me.

When I walked out, she walked up to me.

"Sokka, you're wearing the flannel wrong." Katara complained.

"What?" I looked at my sleeves. "What's wrong about it?"

Katara rolled her eyes. "The flannel is supposed to go around your waist, obviously!"

"Oh," I said. "I thought it was just lesbians who wore it like that."

"You know, as a straight woman who wears flannels around her waist, that was hurtful." Katara explained.

I held up my hands in defeat. Katara tied the flannel around my waist.

Katara hummed, her index finger and thumb cradling her chin as if she was thinking. "Let your hair down."

"No!" I shouted. "Katara, letting my hair down on the first date is a powerful move!"

"Well, this date is special." Katara shrugged. "Let it down."