Chapter 1

<Sokka>

"Wake up, bitch, it's the first day of school!" My sister, Katara, shouted while kicking open my door.

Katara is younger than me by two years, which makes her a Freshman in high school. We recently moved from our home in the South Pole to a city called Ba Sing Se in the Earth Kingdom.

Today was our first day in our new school, and I could already tell that school was gonna suck.

I sat up in bed. "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming, Katara."

Katara huffed. "You'd better hurry up or we'll be late for the bus!"

"Uh-huh." I got up and walked over to my closet. "Can you please leave my room so I can get ready?"

Katara walked out of the room.

I opened my basically empty closet. Most of what was in there had long sleeves that wouldn't work in the warm climate of the Earth Kingdom. I took out the only short-sleeved shirt I have. It's navy blue with a white lotus flower on the front. My dad gave it to me. It was the last thing he gave me before...

"Sokka, hurry your gay ass up!" Katara shouted from downstairs.

"Katara, you know full well that I'm bi!" I called back.

"Well, you're gonna be bi yourself if you don't hurry it up!"

I rolled my eyes and pulled on my t-shirt. I also pulled on a pair of jeans (which I cuffed, of course), and my beat-up blue converse that I wore everywhere. I then put my hair up into a ponytail, grabbed my threadbare denim backpack, and walked downstairs to meet Katara.

"Took you long enough." She scoffed.

"I knew you wouldn't leave me behind." I said back.

Katara tossed me a big waterbottle. "Stay hydrated." Katara has this weird obsession with water. She drinks about 3 gallons of the stuff every day, and when we lived in the South Pole, she'd swim in the freezing ocean! This year, at our new school, she's trying out for the hockey team. I decided I'd play volleyball. I used to practice a lot in the South Pole and I have to say, I'm pretty decent.

"You two have a good day, now." Gran-Gran told us.

"We will, Gran-Gran!" I called while following Katara out the door.

Katara and I arrived at the bus stop. There were a few people waiting there already. Katara separated from me, probably not wanting anyone to know we were siblings. Some short kid wearing a hat with a blue arrow on it walked up to her.

I just stood by myself.

After a few minutes, a skinny teenager about my age with fancy hair walked up to me. He was, maybe, an inch taller than me, with green eyes, brown skin, and short, dark brown hair that was swooshed to the side. He was wearing skinny jeans with a lime green polo shirt tucked into them. It was a look I wouldn't have thought anyone could pull off before I saw this kid.

"Hi, I'm Wu!" He said, thrusting his hand out.

"Sokka." I shook his hand.

"You must be new here!" Wu remarked.

"Yeah, I just moved here last week." I told him. "You waiting for the bus, too?"

"Yeah! I usually wait with my boyfriend, but he's running late, so I thought I'd come talk to you!"

Wu and I talked for a little bit longer, and then a taller guy jogged up to us.

"Mako!" Wu jumped up and hugged the taller guy, Mako, who I assumed was Wu's boyfriend.