Chapter Eight: Breathe

The perspectives are kinda everywhere with this one-

Whoops.

Warnings --->

WC: ~1500

Enjoy!

Xisuma had never felt worse in his life.

The hatred and distrust and betrayal in Xay's eyes was overwhelming.

"Xay, please," Xisuma whispered.

"You- don't talk to me," Xay spat. "Don't act like you care. Don't act like you want me to trust you, because that's not going to happen. Just get away from me-"

"It's what's best," Xisuma murmured. "We'll tell the cop your situation, then he'll offer us some sort of solution. Fire is dangerous, so what's the worst that could happen if we got it extracted. You'd be... normal. There's nothing wrong with that."

"Take a deep breath," he continued, placing the walkie-talkie back in his pocket. "And-"

"Where did you get that from?" Xay cut him off, referring to the communication device.

"When I ran into the fire," Xisuma explained. "They handed it to me and told me to use it if I got in trouble."

"You- fire- what?" Xay stammered.

"I knew you were in the burning forest," Xisuma clarified softly. "I was terrified, and when the cops showed up..."

"My brother's in there!!" Xisuma cried. "Let me go in, please, I-"

"Kid, let the professionals handle it," the man cut him off gruffly.

"Sir, I need to make sure he's okay!" Xisuma protested. "And I will run in there right now. Either have me go in there unequipped, or tell me what to do."

"Ugh," the guy grumbled. "Take this walkie-talkie. But don't run into the fire. Scan the outskirts, we don't need two dead bodies on hand."

"T-two?" Xisuma stuttered.

"I'm sorry, but if he was in the center or anywhere near of that forest, there's almost no way he could've survived this,"

It was like Xisuma's world shattered around him.

He couldn't believe it.

He wouldn't believe it.

"Respectfully, sir," Xisuma's voice shook, the odd words sliding off instinctively. "I don't think so."

And then he ran.

Straight through a clear path in the flames.

He could hear the man screaming at him, but it was one of those times where orders didn't matter.

Xay couldn't be gone, he couldn't.

Around an hour or two later, when the flames had been extinguished, everyone knew what had happened.

"Where are the parents?" the officer asked Xisuma. Xisuma scrubbed the tears from his eyes, telling himself that it was no time to cry.

"Deceased," he replied.

"Guardians?" the officer raised an eyebrow.

"You're talking to him," Xisuma mumbled.