Chapter Twenty-Two: Wish

If last chapter was a social test, then nearly every single one of my commenters would've failed.

Honestly, I gave you guys only a few details about Wels and Hels's relationship: That Wels had somehow previously hurt Hels both emotionally and physically.

THAT'S IT.

Not the ratio of good memories to bad, not if it was on purpose or not- heck, Wels could've tried to apologize, and you all would've never known!!

Honestly, y'all pull out your knives too quick /lh

No warnings!!

WC: ~1500

Enjoy!

"This makes zero sense," Xay grumbled. It was the next morning, and Etho had taken them out to learn the mechanics of their new world. Wels and Hels had joined them, and assured the others that everything was fine between them. However, Xay still noticed Hels flinching ever-so-slightly around Wels, and Wels hesitating before helping Hels with anything, or even saying anything to him.

They seemed to be trying to act normal, so Xay hoped that they really did have things under control.

"You'll get the hang of it," Etho promised airily. "Believe me."

"No, I mean," Xay tried again. "It literally makes no sense. You can't just line up these tiny item-things on some squares and then magically they make a new tiny-item-thing which can grow to like ten times its size when you place it down in a certain way."

"That's far too many 'tiny-item-things' for my taste," Iskall muttered.

"I brought Ren and Mumbo!" Beef called out cheerfully, and everyone turned to see him landing with his elytra, two others following.

Before anyone knew what was happening, Grian got up and rushed over to hug one of them- the one with the suit.

Neither of them said anything, but it was clear they had known each other before.

"That's Mumbo," Beef mumbled after a moment. "And this is Ren."

Ren turned out to be a dog-hybrid, with a bright red shirt, suspenders, and two fluffy ears that poked out of his hair. He grinned at the group, his chocolate-brown eyes surveying them, lingering for a second longer on Iskall.

"Hey dudes!" his voice was cheery, and had an accent that Xay couldn't quite place.

"Hallo!" Iskall smiled and waved at him, and more greetings were spread around the rest.

"What are you all doing?"Mumbo asked, detangling himself from Grian.

"Crafting," Etho replied simply.

"Oh here we go," Ren grumbled as Mumbo spotted a staircase.

"THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE," he cried, grabbing the item. "You would think that a one-meter by one-meter cube with a fourth of it cut out-"

"Mumbo, please spare us," a new voice spat. "Yes, the stairs are more expensive. That's just how servers work."

Everyone glanced up to see... okay- what even is that-

"And this is Doc!" Beef added, nodding at... the other person.

Xay couldn't even begin to describe Doc.

"I AM HERE AS WELL," a person came crashing down in a bolt of black, faceplanted, then looked up at them, his bright red bandana doing practically nothing for his mess of dark hair that poofed out everywhere.